Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    CTE thread: Server administration - Collection of issues

    I've made a thread in the CTE to try and collate all issues that impact running servers.
    Please feel free to add yours.

    http://cte.battlelog.com/bf4/forum/t...8005624196184/

  2. #2
    Translator
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Madrid, Spain
    Posts
    1,972
    Good stuff, I replied.
    || i7 8700k @ 5GHz || MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X TRIO || ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q ||

  3. #3
    All good ideas for the most part, with some subject to abuse which is a concern.

    But this one I hate:

    - Easy, transparent way for a player to give feedback to a server
    Perhaps a "Server Page" for each server, similar to a Platoon page, which is linked in the Browser, so a player can easily go to the Server page and give feedback. At the moment if a player is unhappy about a server, he has to look up the Platoon website or the Clan website, then create a login and then post his feedback.


    What you're going to get with this idea if ever implemented is essentially a name and shame page for the server. Every banned troll is going to name and shame on this server page because they can't do it in the forums when mods see it.

    When you're happy with a server, you keep coming back and you don't post about it. But if you're banned for cheating, racism, or being a disruptive asshole, you're going to run to bad mouth that server if you can -- in particular at its server page if it has such a page.

    I would definitely strike the server page suggestion.
    Last edited by IAF SDS; 09-01-2015 at 04:09.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by IAF SDS View Post
    All good ideas for the most part, with some subject to abuse which is a concern.

    But this one I hate:

    - Easy, transparent way for a player to give feedback to a server
    Perhaps a "Server Page" for each server, similar to a Platoon page, which is linked in the Browser, so a player can easily go to the Server page and give feedback. At the moment if a player is unhappy about a server, he has to look up the Platoon website or the Clan website, then create a login and then post his feedback.


    What you're going to get with this idea if ever implemented is essentially a name and shame page for the server. Every banned troll is going to name and shame on this server page because they get their name and shame threads locked in the forums when mods see them. When you're happy with a server, you keep coming back and you don't post about it. But if you're banned for cheating, racism, or being a disruptive asshole, guess what you're going to run to bad mouth that server if you can.
    Agree, it is badly worded. I was thinking of a mechanism to make communication between players and server owners easier. For example, a plugin may not have been updated and players are getting kicked because of it (has happened to me). Any alternative would be welcomed.
    Last edited by XJaegaX; 09-01-2015 at 04:55.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by IAF SDS View Post
    All good ideas for the most part, with some subject to abuse which is a concern.

    But this one I hate:

    - Easy, transparent way for a player to give feedback to a server
    Perhaps a "Server Page" for each server, similar to a Platoon page, which is linked in the Browser, so a player can easily go to the Server page and give feedback. At the moment if a player is unhappy about a server, he has to look up the Platoon website or the Clan website, then create a login and then post his feedback.


    What you're going to get with this idea if ever implemented is essentially a name and shame page for the server. Every banned troll is going to name and shame on this server page because they get their name and shame threads locked in the forums when mods see them. When you're happy with a server, you keep coming back and you don't post about it. But if you're banned for cheating, racism, or being a disruptive asshole, guess what you're going to run to bad mouth that server if you can.
    Wow, that is an atrocious idea, it will only be disgruntled players using it. Worked in retail and weddings for 12 years (since I was 7), and know this far too well. A person having a single bad experience (whether your fault or theirs) will tell 10 others, a person having a single good experience will tell 1, if that. Running a tight ship means keeping the troublemakers out, and those removed will twist anything they can to make themselves look like the party under attack.
    ____

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by ColColonCleaner View Post
    Wow, that is an atrocious idea, it will only be disgruntled players using it. Worked in retail and weddings for 12 years (since I was 7), and know this far too well. A person having a single bad experience (whether your fault or theirs) will tell 10 others, a person having a single good experience will tell 1, if that. Running a tight ship means keeping the troublemakers out, and those removed will twist anything they can to make themselves look like the party under attack.
    Yes I need to reword it, that was certainly not the intention.

    What I had in mind is the issue one sees regularly in BL forums:
    "I've played on server XYZ and I need to get in touch with the admins. Does anybody know how I can get hold of them?"
    The answer is normally, go look in the server's details and see if there is a website or clan site. So it amounts to the player having to do a bit of detective work to figure out if he can get in touch with the server's admin, and by the time he gets to a website and realizes he has to register and create a login he probably just gives up.

    Ideally there would be a link on the server browser to the Server's page (similar in design to a Platoon page - so there would be private and public areas for comment, and the owners of the server would have the same rights as the founder of a Platoon, i.e. delete any comments they wish to which have been posted in the Public comments section.)

  7. #7
    We advertise our forums on our clan page (BL), server description field, in-game (spam messages) and if someone is kicked/banned we have the "appeal at..." message.

    We turned off our "public" clan page feed because it just turned into an unban request page, or abuse/troll fest towards us from players that most of the time are legitimately banned. If they can't be bothered creating a user account which literally takes a few seconds then I personally can't be bothered wasting my time on them either.

    Most clans run other game server as well, this would mean different processes for different games....

    Nice to know I was right about the blaze backend good to see they are intending to do something about it as well, it's been a long time coming.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonpb View Post
    Nice to know I was right about the blaze backend good to see they are intending to do something about it as well, it's been a long time coming.
    Probably the first feedback I've ever seen on the matter and looks very encouraging.
    Us AUS/NZ servers have had a horrid time for months now, with AusGamers going down etc.
    We blazed twice last night.

    I came to the conclusion that if you want to play BF and is living in AUS/NZ, then you had better to relocate to Europe.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •