Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Translator
    || i7 8700k @ 5GHz || MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X TRIO || ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q ||

Translator
    Our server lost connection to EA Backend and it crashed.

DDOS again?
    || i7 8700k @ 5GHz || MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X TRIO || ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q ||

Procon Addict
    Has everyone got a game to play when the DdoS begins

Quote Originally Posted by IAF SDS View Post
    Look at all of the live attacks from around the world at this link . . .

http://map.ipviking.com

http://www.norse-corp.com
    Why is Iceland picking on us? We love Of Monsters And Men!
    Don't send me private messages (PMs) unless you really need privacy, like your game server password. If you just have a question or need help, post in one of the threads. It's extra work for me to answer questions and give help in private messages and no one else gets the benefit of the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by ty_ger07 View Post
    Can't XBL and PSN and any other organization block incoming connections at their will? If they are being attacked, just block the whole country. It's better that some people are able to use the service instead of no one.
    Blocking doesn't help when the problem is maxing out bandwidth. If you are Sony and you pay for the ability to handle 1 million packets per second and 50% of those are from IP's that need to be blocked, you still need to see the packet to apply the blocking logic. So that still counts against your bandwidth. If your legit traffic goes over 50%, everything falls apart. That's what a denial of service attack is all about.

Now you could try to catch the bad packets further upstream, but you would need the cooperation of Internet Providers and carriers and things get more complicated. The risk increases of blocking legit packets that happen to come from the same range of origins.

If there were a simple solution, it would have been tried long ago. Plus, there's money involved. There is ample evidence against certain countries hosting and even sponsoring hackers, but those countries are also responsible for gigadollars of export trade, a lot of which is negotiated over the internet. Who is going to take action to save $10 million of nuisance and damage when $100 billion is at stake?

EDIT: I should have said simple AND cheap solution. There are complex AND expensive solutions, which the hackers allude to. With time, effort and a lot of money, you can mitigate most of the impact of a DDos. But if the cost is several times your total revenue, would you do it?
    Last edited by PapaCharlie9; 28-12-2014 at 19:17.
    Don't send me private messages (PMs) unless you really need privacy, like your game server password. If you just have a question or need help, post in one of the threads. It's extra work for me to answer questions and give help in private messages and no one else gets the benefit of the answer.

Community Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaCharlie9 View Post
    Blocking doesn't help when the problem is maxing out bandwidth. If you are Sony and you pay for the ability to handle 1 million packets per second and 50% of those are from IP's that need to be blocked, you still need to see the packet to apply the blocking logic. So that still counts against your bandwidth. If your legit traffic goes over 50%, everything falls apart. That's what a denial of service attack is all about.

Now you could try to catch the bad packets further upstream, but you would need the cooperation of Internet Providers and carriers and things get more complicated. The risk increases of blocking legit packets that happen to come from the same range of origins.

If there were a simple solution, it would have been tried long ago. Plus, there's money involved. There is ample evidence against certain countries hosting and even sponsoring hackers, but those countries are also responsible for gigadollars of export trade, a lot of which is negotiated over the internet. Who is going to take action to save $10 million of nuisance and damage when $100 billion is at stake?

EDIT: I should have said simple AND cheap solution. There are complex AND expensive solutions, which the hackers allude to. With time, effort and a lot of money, you can mitigate most of the impact of a DDos. But if the cost is several times your total revenue, would you do it?
    Understood. Well stated.

Quote Originally Posted by ty_ger07 View Post
    Why does BFBC2 work fine when BF4 doesn't? Something must be different. Being able to directly connect to a server IP address and port is a huge bonus either way. You don't need a server browser to find a server if you choose one of the many popular servers which have their IP address and port advertised. All we need is a direct-connect option to use when all else fails.
    Every EA Online game on every platform has a different backend system instance with a different set of public-facing IPs and servers.

Community Contributor
    Is it just me, or has recent attacks really screwed up a ton of sites? Most of the sites I visit are randomly timing out over the last half hour. I was in a BF4 server when I first noticed the issue and it almost constantly had the disconnect symbol at the top right. It wasn't too bad to play in, but wasn't 100%. Other players were noticing the same thing. I also noticed that the server's procon layer seemed to go offline because it stopped "talking" the way it had been. Then, I was disconnected. First thing I did was come here, noticed bad random timeouts, and then started looking elsewhere and had similar issues on other sites.

http://map.ipviking.com/ was showing a huge attack every now and then from an unknown grey location. It was like it was raining down on the US from nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLord7854 View Post
    Every EA Online game on every platform has a different backend system instance with a different set of public-facing IPs and servers.
    I see.
    Last edited by ty_ger07; 03-01-2015 at 04:23.