Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Questions and Answers

If you have a question, even a dumb one, even a really, really dumb one, that isn't really feedback and doesn't really belong in your feedback thread, ask it here.

Keep in mind Phogue's timezone. Most people, unless you live in Asia, shouldn't expect to see an answer until the next day, if at all.

Phogue Edit: Even if you copy+paste the Q&A into https://docs.myrcon.com/getting-started-faq.html you'll be doing me a big favour!

Ask EBassie - It's as easy as editing a text document in your browser. You'll do it once and be editing docs in no time. https://docs.myrcon.com/getting-star...tributing.html
    Last edited by Phogue; 01-09-2014 at 00:39.
    Don't send me private messages (PMs) unless you really need privacy, like your game server password. If you just have a question or need help, post in one of the threads. It's extra work for me to answer questions and give help in private messages and no one else gets the benefit of the answer.

Is there a way to monitor the state of my Potato separately from a Peeler? Just basic health check kind of info: uptime, peak/average/current CPU load, peak/average/current percent memory usage, current number of connections (from Peelers, I guess, or maybe to game servers?).
    Don't send me private messages (PMs) unless you really need privacy, like your game server password. If you just have a question or need help, post in one of the threads. It's extra work for me to answer questions and give help in private messages and no one else gets the benefit of the answer.

"I was a genuinely nice person before I joined this community"
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaCharlie9 View Post
    Is there a way to monitor the state of my Potato separately from a Peeler? Just basic health check kind of info: uptime, peak/average/current CPU load, peak/average/current percent memory usage, current number of connections (from Peelers, I guess, or maybe to game servers?).
    Nope, beside the "service running" indicator provided by GSP-Panel, there's no additional statistics accessible for you. The Potato console can print some basic stats about itself, but that would require you to access our server and commandline directly (which obviously is not an optimal solution :P)

What benefit would such information provide you? The resource usage of your peeler shouldn't really be of interest for "regular" users (hosters obviously would benefit from this information since they could see if an instance "acts up" or someone hogs the whole server), or am I missing something important?

Before posting: Have you read the MANUAL?
    Before posting: Have you used the SEARCH?

I will not provide support through PMs or TeamSpeak. Please post your questions in our forums.

Quote Originally Posted by MorpheusX(AUT) View Post
    Nope, beside the "service running" indicator provided by GSP-Panel, there's no additional statistics accessible for you. The Potato console can print some basic stats about itself, but that would require you to access our server and commandline directly (which obviously is not an optimal solution :P)
    I thought the green (Active) indicator means that your Potato is provisioned and paid for, not that it is running -- an account status rather than server status indicator. What does the indicator show if the potato has crashed or is overloaded?

What benefit would such information provide you? The resource usage of your peeler shouldn't really be of interest for "regular" users (hosters obviously would benefit from this information since they could see if an instance "acts up" or someone hogs the whole server), or am I missing something important?
    An initializing/running/not-responding indicator is good enough for most purposes. During these early days of beta testing having more health check info could be useful, particularly if something we are doing with a custom peeler or plugin is having a negative impact on the potato, but you are right, in the long run that info is more interesting to hosters than users.

I thought the green (Active) indicator means that your Potato is provisioned and paid for, not that it is running -- an account status rather than server status indicator. What does the indicator show if the potato has crashed or is overloaded?
    If you're looking at GSP-Panel (https://farm.myrcon.com), the green status indicator shows your Potato as running. Should it fail to start, crash or be stopped, the indicator will simply be red. While an action like restart is being performed, I think it turns into a spinning-circle-thingy, but not 100% sure anymore.

An initializing/running/not-responding indicator is good enough for most purposes. During these early days of beta testing having more health check info could be useful, particularly if something we are doing with a custom peeler or plugin is having a negative impact on the potato, but you are right, in the long run that info is more interesting to hosters than users.
    I'm not sure if GSP-Panel can provide the statistics as detailed (per-customer based). There are machine-wide statistics, but those are a little vague too... I guess we can monitor resources manually on-demand during the beta-stage (e.g. if someone runs into troubles or we see a sudden spike in usage).

I will not provide support through PMs or TeamSpeak. Please post your questions in our forums.

Who?
    It's something I would like, but we have the graphs disabled in gsp panel at the moment. It does have graphs for cpu usage but I don't believe they were working.

I cannot remember the reason why they are not working. We may not have had time to investigate this.

There was the usual graphs you expect from other gsp panels, but the images were broken or displayed 0% usage all the time.
    I started at DICE late Oct. 2014, so ignore every post before that.

1. Is it possible to use the "peeler" web-based front end to monitor and administer a Procon 1.0 (Frostbite) layer server? I assume, based on what I've read here, that the answer is no.

2. If it is possible to use the new peeler to connect to a legacy layer server, would it be at all wise to attempt this on a layer server that is connected to a live, running game server today? I am guessing that the answer to this also is no.

3. What does the existence and ultimate release of Procon 2.0 mean for continued support of the Procon 1.0 (Frostbite) front end and legacy layer servers? I ask because, since all plugins will be broken by the release of 2.0 and require full re-writes from the ground up, it seems there will be a significant lag time until admins that rely on non-trivial plugins can migrate to 2.0.

Quote Originally Posted by DownArrowMagnet View Post
    1. Is it possible to use the "peeler" web-based front end to monitor and administer a Procon 1.0 (Frostbite) layer server? I assume, based on what I've read here, that the answer is no.
    No. The Peeler can just connect to Potatos(/Procon 2)

2. If it is possible to use the new peeler to connect to a legacy layer server, would it be at all wise to attempt this on a layer server that is connected to a live, running game server today? I am guessing that the answer to this also is no.
    Since connecting to a Procon 1.X layer is not possible, this question is answers itself

3. What does the existence and ultimate release of Procon 2.0 mean for continued support of the Procon 1.0 (Frostbite) front end and legacy layer servers? I ask because, since all plugins will be broken by the release of 2.0 and require full re-writes from the ground up, it seems there will be a significant lag time until admins that rely on non-trivial plugins can migrate to 2.0.
    For this exact reason (all plugins having to be re-written for Procon 2), we've decided to run an open beta, hoping for developers to "jump on board" and start migrating their plugins to Procon 2. In theory, a "Procon1 to Procon2" plugin could be written, but that would be a horrible hack and should absolutely be disregarded.

Please see this post though: https://forum.myrcon.com/showthread....l=1#post108466

Quote Originally Posted by MorpheusX(AUT) View Post
    For this exact reason (all plugins having to be re-written for Procon 2), we've decided to run an open beta, hoping for developers to "jump on board" and start migrating their plugins to Procon 2. In theory, a "Procon1 to Procon2" plugin could be written, but that would be a horrible hack and should absolutely be disregarded.

Please see this post though: https://forum.myrcon.com/showthread....l=1#post108466
    I'm not quite sure what to make of the post that is linked, but it seems that Phogue is saying that Procon 2.0 may be either discontinued or heading toward an open source release, due to lack of development time and resources.

Does that imply that Procon 1.0 is headed to a similar fate, or does this mean you all plan to focus on Procon 1.0 (Frostbite) for the foreseeable future and will leave Procon 2.0 (Potato) to find its own way in the world?

Phogues Rubber Duck
    I'm not quite sure what to make of the post that is linked, but it seems that Phogue is saying that Procon 2.0 may be either discontinued or heading toward an open source release, due to lack of development time and resources.

Does that imply that Procon 1.0 is headed to a similar fate, or does this mean you all plan to focus on Procon 1.0 (Frostbite) for the foreseeable future and will leave Procon 2.0 (Potato) to find its own way in the world?
    Phogue hasnt worked on Procon 1 for a long time now, that has been handled by morph/Phil for the last couple of years.

Procon 2 will be leaving Myrcon, but staying with Geoff, and all will be explained in a blog post in a couple of days.