How often "should" a BF4 server be restarted?

My provider (NFO) has some automatic thing that restarts the server once a day "if it is empty." But the server rarely empties now, except a couple hours a day at most, and it's never fully empty since I use a BL seeding script to keep my own account logged in so it will get Quick Match traffic even when I'm not home.

So I'm just wondering if there are any major known issues with leaving the current R35 (soon to be R36) server running for days on end without a restart. Are bad things going to happen, and should I just manually restart once a day during some slow hour to avoid them?

The one and only Bassyboy
    I restart my servers every day after a minimum of 20 hours uptime when it's empty with an InsaneLimit.

R35 seemed to have a huge memory leak starting after 1.5 / 2 days uptime.
    After more than 4 days uptime it would just crash.

Also after several days uptime you will notice worse server performance. Worse hitreg etc.
    This has been tested with the CTE program as well.

Not sure if R36 has any fixes for both issues.

It's a matter of deciding whether you want to choose the time, or let the server choose the time for you by crashing. In general, the longer you run with active players and no restart, the higher the risk of a crash.

The interval varies by a lot of factors: average number of players, maps/modes, server settings, etc., so no one can give you one true number. Rule of thumb, I'd say the risk of a crash becomes too high if the server goes 15 days of continuous activity without a restart. That's probably conservative. Personally, I'd want to restart at least once a week, preferably at peak time. Why peak? Even though peak time is ostensibly more disruptive, it reduces the risk that your server will not refill with players after being restarted.

You could mitigate the disruption by forcing the restart to happen on the onLoadLevel event (start of next round).
    Don't send me private messages (PMs) unless you really need privacy, like your game server password. If you just have a question or need help, post in one of the threads. It's extra work for me to answer questions and give help in private messages and no one else gets the benefit of the answer.

Per NFO about R35, DICE recommends restarting your server every 24 to 48 hours:

Update @ 10:25am PDT: DICE has told us that this new version has performance that degrades over time even more quickly than the last one, and advises restarting servers every 24-48 hours. We already restart servers daily when they empty out, but if you have a server that is very busy and never empties, you may need to manually restart it or schedule extra automatic restarts.

Papa, is it possible to have a limit restart the server with a warning message at a specific time each day (regardless of player count and even if I have ProCon automatically restarted daily or the server crashed/restarted earlier)?

If possible, would you please create a limit for us that does the following:

1) Restarts the server at approximately 3PM each day,
    2) Forces the restart to happen on the onLoadLevel event (start of next round),
    3) Gives the following message, three times consecutively with each time occurring every 15 seconds, in both SAY and a 15 second YELL to everyone during the intermission:

Server RESTARTING NOW to BOOST Gameplay Performance!
    Please REJOIN IN 1 MINUTE to Play on a Fresh Server.

For example:
    Round Ends and 1st message sent as SAY with 15 second YELL.
    15 seconds later, 2nd message sent as SAY with 15 second YELL.
    15 seconds later, 3rd message sent as SAY with 15 second YELL.

If you want me to copy this request to the IL requests thread, please let me know.
    Last edited by IAF SDS; 22-06-2014 at 21:43.

Translator
    That would be nice, but instead I'd warn them to join in 3 minutes (not 1) as it usually takes (At least ours) ~2 and half minutes to appear back in Battlelog after a reboot.
    || i7 8700k @ 5GHz || MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X TRIO || ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q ||

Quote Originally Posted by IAF SDS View Post
    Per NFO about R35, DICE recommends restarting your server every 24 to 48 hours:

Update @ 10:25am PDT: DICE has told us that this new version has performance that degrades over time even more quickly than the last one, and advises restarting servers every 24-48 hours. We already restart servers daily when they empty out, but if you have a server that is very busy and never empties, you may need to manually restart it or schedule extra automatic restarts.

Papa, is it possible to have a limit restart the server with a warning message at a specific time each day (regardless of player count and even if I have ProCon automatically restarted daily or the server crashed/restarted earlier)?

If possible, would you please create a limit for us that does the following:

1) Restarts the server at approximately 3PM each day,
    2) Forces the restart to happen on the onLoadLevel event (start of next round),
    3) Gives the following message, three times consecutively with each time occurring every 15 seconds, in both SAY and a 15 second YELL to everyone during the intermission:

Server RESTARTING NOW to BOOST Gameplay Performance!
    Please REJOIN IN 1 MINUTE to Play on a Fresh Server.

For example:
    Round Ends and 1st message sent as SAY with 15 second YELL.
    15 seconds later, 2nd message sent as SAY with 15 second YELL.
    15 seconds later, 3rd message sent as SAY with 15 second YELL.

If you want me to copy this request to the IL requests thread, please let me know.
    Here you go:

https://forum.myrcon.com/showthread....server-restart

The messages are changeable. I made it 2 minutes to split the difference between 1 and 3. You can change it to whatever you want, though.
    Don't send me private messages (PMs) unless you really need privacy, like your game server password. If you just have a question or need help, post in one of the threads. It's extra work for me to answer questions and give help in private messages and no one else gets the benefit of the answer.

Plugin Developer
    Probably hardly matters if your server doesn't even fill. None of mine have been filling even with me seeding them with 3 accounts all day every day. Don't know what's going on. I'm bout to try to construct a productive thread inquiring about it but the thing is that the high-on-their-horse fools running the servers that are somehow miraculously getting continual traffic to their servers probably won't even respond. That's just my experience when posing a serious question to those kind of people.

Do you think that maybe referring to "those people" as "high-on-their-horse" might reflect somewhat on the reputation of the person asking the serious question? And that that reflection might have something to do with a slight unwillingness to be helpful?

In any case, there's already a serious thread on that topic:

https://forum.myrcon.com/showthread....-server-owners