How can I tell for sure if a server is "quick match" eligible?

The server documentation refers to a variable named "matchMakingEnabled" that is supposed to be returned by serverInfo, but that value does not appear in the output of serverInfo on my server. And I've also read comments suggesting that it isn't (or wasn't) actually related to "quick match" or "play now" eligibility of the server.

Is having the server show up on Battlelog as "Official" with the "experience" (vars.mpExperience) value set enough? Or is there something else that needs to be done to make sure you are getting play now traffic?

I wonder because I see a ton of servers that seem to be in official mode, but don't have their "experience" set to anything. And I also see weird setups like servers that show as Official and have their experience set to, e.g., TEAM DEATHMATCH, but also show as running the "Hardcore" preset.

I know it's possible to start a server up as Official and then run vars.preset to change the settings after it is started. But I thought that putting a server in Hardcore was supposed to make it no longer show as Official, just like changing certain other individual variables will.

I'm curious if these "Official Hardcore" servers actually are getting quick match traffic even though they don't appear to really be running the Official settings.

The one and only Bassyboy
    If you want to know for sure, check this. Hover with your mouse over "AcceptingPlayers" and a pop-up will appear.

With the server as OFFICIAL, you can still do Hardcore, Normal, Infantry Only with the vars.preset.
    OFFICIAL only means you have less rights to kick and ban players from your servers.
    And only OFFICIAL will give a server Quick Match traffic.

I'm not sure if the EXPERIENCE var is needed for Quick Match.

Quote Originally Posted by EBassie View Post
    If you want to know for sure, check this. Hover with your mouse over "AcceptingPlayers" and a pop-up will appear.
    Thanks very much. That's exactly what I was looking for.

I don't have any evidence one way or the other myself if experience is required to be set. I assume it is since it determines what category your server matches up with when people pick on and click Play Now. The RSP that I use also has a tooltip on their control panel saying it's required to receive play now traffic, but I don't know what their source is for that claim.

I guess it's possible that a server with no experience variable setting could match any of them, but that seems like it would kind of defeat the purpose of making quick match players choose which type of match they want to play.

I don't think the AcceptingPlayers status info is correct for BF4 in any case. I'm looking at a completely vanilla Official/Normal vars.mpExperience RUSHCLASSIC server right now, and it says MatchMaking Enabled: No.

Maybe it only works for BF3?
    Don't send me private messages (PMs) unless you really need privacy, like your game server password. If you just have a question or need help, post in one of the threads. It's extra work for me to answer questions and give help in private messages and no one else gets the benefit of the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaCharlie9 View Post
    I don't think the AcceptingPlayers status info is correct for BF4 in any case. I'm looking at a completely vanilla Official/Normal vars.mpExperience RUSHCLASSIC server right now, and it says MatchMaking Enabled: No. Maybe it only works for BF3?
    Actually now that I look at that screenshot again, the hover text box seems like it is a straight overlay of the values returned by the serverInfo command.

There are two problems with that, which are: (1) at least on my current server, the serverInfo command does not return any boolean value in its output where the server docs say "<matchMakingEnabled: boolean>" should appear; and (2) I have read other comments suggesting that this value doesn't (or never did) have any relation to play now eligibility in BF4.

So I don't think that hover text is getting the information that it thinks it is if it says "No" (i.e., it's defaulting to "No" only because there is no value in the serverInfo output where it is looking for one), and even if it is getting a valid return value, I'm not sure it means what we think it means.
    Last edited by DownArrowMagnet; 29-05-2014 at 19:08.