Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Phogue View Post
    No options now or in the future. I'd rather make something that makes sense rather than something that needs a certain set of options selected to make sense.

Every time I put an option in it means I have to support two methods of achieving something and I generally don't agree with one of the ways.
    Like that matters.

Ping is a perfect example. Some people really care about ping outliers. Smarter people only care about ping outliers that are shooting the hit detection latency angle, which ought to be caught by KDR outlier flagging anyway. Flagging ping outliers just perpetuates the urban myth that you should care about that stuff -- it's visual noise and takes up real estate for those that don't care. But you'll get passionate argument that its critical and taking it out would be a sin.

It's exactly these cases of passionate disagreement where options are the best solution.

(Normally that argument would be sufficient, since most developers don't want to piss off half their users. I realize that may not fly with you, though.)
    Don't send me private messages (PMs) unless you really need privacy, like your game server password. If you just have a question or need help, post in one of the threads. It's extra work for me to answer questions and give help in private messages and no one else gets the benefit of the answer.

"I was a genuinely nice person before I joined this community"
    Don't.
    Don't try to discuss this matter with him.
    I tried.
    It's useless

Before posting: Have you read the MANUAL?
    Before posting: Have you used the SEARCH?

I will not provide support through PMs or TeamSpeak. Please post your questions in our forums.

Who?
    I found presenting testers with two competing solutions would result in lazy feedback like "Implement both, but have an option".

In the interest of making something as plug+play with refined functionality from the get-go, I removed options and the possibility of an option being a solution. It made the feedback much more valuable when testers were forced to make a decision on their own preference and stop trying to think what others would like.

What if the main dashboard only showed >=3 sigma?
    I started at DICE late Oct. 2014, so ignore every post before that.

Quote Originally Posted by Phogue View Post
    I found presenting testers with two competing solutions would result in lazy feedback like "Implement both, but have an option".

In the interest of making something as plug+play with refined functionality from the get-go, I removed options and the possibility of an option being a solution. It made the feedback much more valuable when testers were forced to make a decision on their own preference and stop trying to think what others would like.
    In a product space with no competition, sure, I could see the advantages of that. As long as you don't mind a non-zero fraction of testers always saying they hate it and would never use it, no matter what you do, it definitely simplifies things. Works for Apple, why not you?

What if the main dashboard only showed >=3 sigma?
    How about showing each sigma in a different color? Same warning /!\ icon, but blue for 1 sigma, yellow for 2 sigma, red for 3+ sigma? If you don't like those 3 colors, pick three others, just make sure they are easy to tell apart (colorblindness notwithstanding -- we don't believe in options).
    Don't send me private messages (PMs) unless you really need privacy, like your game server password. If you just have a question or need help, post in one of the threads. It's extra work for me to answer questions and give help in private messages and no one else gets the benefit of the answer.

Who?
    There is three levels at the moment. I forget the exact numbers, but it does go blue/yellow/red depending on how great the sigma is.

I have kept colour blind people in mind while making this. It supports different themes, so everything can be tweaked fairly easily. I intend to allow people to choose a theme at some point for colour blind individuals.
    I started at DICE late Oct. 2014, so ignore every post before that.