Thread: Web Hosting

Web Hosting

Hi guys

I am unhappy with the level of service I am getting from my current web host, "Clanwebs".

I have alot of respect for the opinions of most of you would value your input if you can spare the time.

What do I need:

1) A webhost that I can transfer my backed up e107 website to.

2) The webhost needs to have unlimited bandwidth and access to a MYSQL database that accepts remote connections.

3) Ideally the new web host transfer my domain and website to the new location for me but not essential.

I am currently on the clan unlimited package shown here but the databases are useless for my needs and the webhost will not answer my tickets. It has been three days now.

Can any of you recommend a good reliable webhost that will satisfy our clans needs.

I am hosting with https://digitalocean.com, after a lot of back and forth over the years, it's been the best so far.

Domains are with godaddy.
    Last edited by TMiland; 26-04-2014 at 13:59.

Quote Originally Posted by ToM666 View Post
    Hi guys

I am unhappy with the level of service I am getting from my current web host, "Clanwebs".

I have alot of respect for the opinions of most of you would value your input if you can spare the time.

What do I need:

1) A webhost that I can transfer my backed up e107 website to.

2) The webhost needs to have unlimited bandwidth and access to a MYSQL database that accepts remote connections.

3) Ideally the new web host transfer my domain and website to the new location for me but not essential.

I am currently on the clan unlimited package shown here but the databases are useless for my needs and the webhost will not answer my tickets. It has been three days now.

Can any of you recommend a good reliable webhost that will satisfy our clans needs.

It looks like you're going to have some issues first off with the domain POSSIBLY from what I've looked up. It looks as though you purchased the domain through clanwebs. So you might have some issues with that.

What "level of service" are you looking to get exactly from your host? It sounds like you want a fully managed host that will do a lot for you. Unfortunately most places out there won't do everything for you like transferring a domain for example because you need to do some work with that. And I would highly recommend never purchasing a domain through an offer of "domain included with your purchase" as that can turn bad quickly.

Most of the time though a managed provider will indeed transfer everything for you, you just need to give them access to your files and such.

It doesn't look like your site is taking up tons of resources right now BUT be aware that with what it seems like you need you might need to pay a little more for hosting.

What's your spending limit?

Quote Originally Posted by ADKGamers View Post
    It looks like you're going to have some issues first off with the domain POSSIBLY from what I've looked up. It looks as though you purchased the domain through clanwebs. So you might have some issues with that.

What "level of service" are you looking to get exactly from your host? It sounds like you want a fully managed host that will do a lot for you. Unfortunately most places out there won't do everything for you like transferring a domain for example because you need to do some work with that. And I would highly recommend never purchasing a domain through an offer of "domain included with your purchase" as that can turn bad quickly.

Most of the time though a managed provider will indeed transfer everything for you, you just need to give them access to your files and such.

It doesn't look like your site is taking up tons of resources right now BUT be aware that with what it seems like you need you might need to pay a little more for hosting.

What's your spending limit?
    Maximum about 50.00 a year I was thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by ToM666 View Post
    Maximum about 50.00 a year I was thinking.

If your max is that which is around $85 USD that's going to be tough because if you want unlimited BW that's normally going to be under "shared hosting". Which if you use something like ADKats for example you'll end up falling under the users that "use a lot of resources" and so you'll end up being throttled.

What are you looking to do with your website? How much BW do you normally use and how much space do you use as well? Do you have a lot of resource intensive stuff on your website?

Quote Originally Posted by ADKGamers View Post
    If your max is that which is around $85 USD that's going to be tough because if you want unlimited BW that's normally going to be under "shared hosting". Which if you use something like ADKats for example you'll end up falling under the users that "use a lot of resources" and so you'll end up being throttled.

What are you looking to do with your website? How much BW do you normally use and how much space do you use as well? Do you have a lot of resource intensive stuff on your website?
    We are currently using 882 MB of space and our monthly bandwidth usage is around 3000 MB

We are looking to use XP killers Chat, GUID, Stats and Mapstats Logger along with a few other plugins and scripts that rely on that to function.

I have just signed up to a webhost that has unlimited bandwidth and space for 48.00 but I am little worried now as to what "throttling" will do to the server or website. Could you elaborate please?

Try eukhost.com if you're in the UK. I host with them on their UK and American servers. They may help with transfer of stuff too.

I can't imagine transfering a domain being an issue. Setup an account with namecheap.com or something then do a transfer request. They will most likely do it.

Get on live chat with whatever host you go with and ask questions before you buy and make sure you save the conversation.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Guys