Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I've been running a 24/7 TDM (No DLC) official mode server for a bit, and I haven't really figured out a consistent way to keep it full yet. I don't have a clan to seed it with, so I'm stuck with just my login trying to jump start it when I am home. One night it will fill within minutes and run solid for eight hours until 4 a.m. The next night it is forever alone.

I'm only running with 20 player slots, which is a bit of a liability since it doesn't match the 16/24/32/64 choices in server browser's game size filter, and because for whatever reason many players seem to only want to play 64-player CQ Large Locker meatgrinders all day long. But I picked that size because I really like TDM and Domination, and 20 players is (according to DICE's server docs) the max player count that those modes were designed for.

When it does run, it seems to run very nicely, and I'll see people stay on for hours at a time. But when it doesn't run, it just doesn't run at all.

Quote Originally Posted by DownArrowMagnet View Post
    But I picked that size because I really like TDM and Domination, and 20 players is (according to DICE's server docs) the max player count that those modes were designed for.
    Does Official allow you to use a higher max players without losing Normal status? It didn't used to (well, it did at first, then got tightened up).

You can experiment with slightly higher numbers. It's true the maps, particularly TDM spawn points, were designed for those player counts. But you can probably go up to 32 on either without any trouble. I really like Domination at 32, it's a good size for that mode. This is assuming you don't lose Official/Normal status if you do that.
    Don't send me private messages (PMs) unless you really need privacy, like your game server password. If you just have a question or need help, post in one of the threads. It's extra work for me to answer questions and give help in private messages and no one else gets the benefit of the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaCharlie9 View Post
    Does Official allow you to use a higher max players without losing Normal status? It didn't used to (well, it did at first, then got tightened up).

You can experiment with slightly higher numbers. It's true the maps, particularly TDM spawn points, were designed for those player counts. But you can probably go up to 32 on either without any trouble. I really like Domination at 32, it's a good size for that mode. This is assuming you don't lose Official/Normal status if you do that.
    I don't know for sure, but just looking at servers right now that are Team Deathmatch, Official, Normal, North America, I see nine servers with player counts of 32-64.

I can't say whether they're getting quick match traffic or not (I think some surely are not because they don't have any valid "experience" specified), but based on how full I see the 64-player ones stay most hours I assume that most of them are.

That's also not including the ones that are currently reporting low 8-10 player counts but which are using an adaptive size plugin and actually have much higher hard caps.
    Last edited by DownArrowMagnet; 29-05-2014 at 19:06.

All of it is moot unless you have a dedicated group to help start your servers.

Chill n Kill Gaming - http://www.cnkgaming.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jaythegreat1 View Post
    even then.. not so quick and fast to fill unless they are the ones staying full over night.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaythegreat1 View Post
    Depends on your settings. I messed around with TDM / Domination for a few days, without a whole lot of success keeping it full except during prime time.

As soon as I upgraded to 32 Players and set it to 24/7 Conquest (small), it filled right up and runs all night. After a couple days it has started filling or staying full on its own in the wee morning hours, and even filled right back up after the forced shutdown for the R35 patch rollout.
    Last edited by DownArrowMagnet; 03-06-2014 at 19:05.

Some further thoughts on this:

Even if you follow all of the great advice above, you still might not be able to attract and/or retain players. Why?

It could be that your Battlelog presence is sub-optimal. By that I mean your server is either hard to find on Battlelog, or impossible to find.

It's important to take a look at how players see your server through Battlelog.

* Do you have an attractive server name? "GTFO BADMIN HEAVEN U-OWN-WE-BAN" is probably not the best idea for a server name.

Some keywords seem to help. For example, putting "noob" in your name prominently can help, depending on the phase of the launch cycle for the game version. Early on its like gold -- for attracting pro players looking for easy pickings. Late, when most people are 100+ rank or higher, it's also more effective.

Look at the most active servers and see how they name their servers. What makes them attractive?

* Is Battlelog showing the info you intended?

Your config may not be what you think it is. Maybe your preset is wrong. Maybe your server size is funky (due to Adaptive Server Size, see below).

Even if your config is correct, Battlelog might show something incorrectly. You might have to tweak your config and do some restarts to get Battlelog to show something acceptable.

* Are you displaying your true server size?

Players that want a big server experience are not going to join a server that advertises 3/8 players. If your server is 64 players but you are using Adaptive size, put "64 PLAYERS" prominently in your server name.

* Who is your competition?

Why are other servers with similar configurations getting players and you are not, for the same time and region? Check them out. If they have a clan website, visit it. If you can identify an admin, contact them (and try not to sound stupid, arrogant or desperate). I have never had a negative response when I've asked an admin, a total stranger, for advice on how they keep their servers full. I either get no response (maybe their spam filter blocked my email?), or I get a very polite response. I've never gotten a GTFO response.
    Last edited by PapaCharlie9; 25-06-2014 at 18:24.
    Don't send me private messages (PMs) unless you really need privacy, like your game server password. If you just have a question or need help, post in one of the threads. It's extra work for me to answer questions and give help in private messages and no one else gets the benefit of the answer.

Thanks for the replies, a few hours after this post I just gave up and cancelled my server though it did run for about a month till the time was up. I played BF4 for about 20 minutes a few days ago for the first time since the night before I started the thread.

Everything was always the same, CQ Large stock maps, spammed the new DLC coming on but like I said it did drop off with each DLC. DLC fragmentation is pretty evident imho. Oddly enough, for the last 3 days before my server was closed it was full. Never started or even had a clan member in it.

I think our name was a good "fun" name for BF4, it was "You Mad Bro" with Adaptive Server size in it for good measure. Now Battlelog is close to worthless IMHO too, I always had a hard time finding my server when searching. The config was a standard Nornal with Procon and nothing else changed. Somebody must have found it though right, I mean we where full for a vast majority of the time before the release of the first DLC.

There wasnt that much competition, it is a good idea to get in contact with the admins of a server I do frequent to see what they do. Obviously servers and game are done and dusted for me with BF4 but like a fool I am probably going to get Hardline and a server. =)
    Last edited by originalhandy; 27-06-2014 at 16:45.

why?

CAUSE EVERY NOOB IS BACK to BF3- which im totally fine with..