Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Community Contributor
    Does traffic between Procon C# and the UI server remain relatively constant or does it rise and fall depending on how many users are logged into the UI? In other words, is the UI server constantly requesting updated information for its database at regular intervals, or does Procon C# build up a buffer of data (such as uptime or server useage statistics) which it transmits when a logged in UI user views a page asking for such data? Also, what about event data such as 'who killed who with what'? Does the database store event data, or is event data only transmitted to the UI server if a user logged into the UI actively needs the data (and then subsequently forgotten)?

Who?
    Quote Originally Posted by ty_ger07 View Post
    Does traffic between Procon C# and the UI server remain relatively constant or does it rise and fall depending on how many users are logged into the UI?
    It's constant. C# pushes collected events every second, provided there are events to push. An empty server won't push as much events as a full one with players killing/chatting/etc.
    I started at DICE late Oct. 2014, so ignore every post before that.

Who?
    Zaeed: how much control will plugins have over the UI.. is it open slather? or will there be restrictions
    They have optional little sandboxes around the place for widgety type things. They can do whatever they want inside these sandboxes.

There is no interaction between the UI <-> Plugin UI Widgets besides the UI working as a proxy for commands. The widgets can issue commands from their sandbox to the UI, so the widget could poll for updates every 10 seconds or something.

A basic sandbox is loaded for a widget, which bootstraps loading in a css and js file from the plugin, as well as the template to use for the page.

You should learn AngularJS to write plugin UI's.

Community Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaeed View Post
    As I understand it, Procon C# (I think of it as a gateway) is the brain, Procon UI then connects to that, and issues commands to the gameservers attached to it. Its just a console, no interface, since the interface is Procon UI
    Let's assume that someone just wanted one plugin to run on their server with default plugin options and was not concerned about creating admin accounts. Is it possible that someone could download Procon C#, download the plugin they want, and configure Procon C# completely via command line arguments and/or configuration file modifications on their machine so that their Procon C# connects to their game server and the plugin is enabled all without ever using the UI?

Are there expected to be any issues and hand holding involved with getting the UI to connect to peoples' home network if a user chooses to self-host due to the users' inexperience with network configuration?
    Last edited by ty_ger07; 07-04-2014 at 13:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaeed View Post
    Yeah sorry, eye has been making my life a bit shit last few days, long periods on pc haven't worked out too well.
    Ouch. Not great for the photography either, I imagine. No worries, Phogue's gonna draw some diagrams.
    Don't send me private messages (PMs) unless you really need privacy, like your game server password. If you just have a question or need help, post in one of the threads. It's extra work for me to answer questions and give help in private messages and no one else gets the benefit of the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Phogue View Post
    They have optional little sandboxes around the place for widgety type things. They can do whatever they want inside these sandboxes.
    Yeah, I see those big empty blue outlined boxes in the alpha. Is the test plugin supposed to post something into those areas?
    Don't send me private messages (PMs) unless you really need privacy, like your game server password. If you just have a question or need help, post in one of the threads. It's extra work for me to answer questions and give help in private messages and no one else gets the benefit of the answer.

Are there expected to be any issues and hand holding involved with getting the UI to connect to peoples' home network if a user chooses to self-host due to the users' inexperience with network configuration?
    Are you asking for a reference implementation of a UI front-end, for self-hosters?

At a higher level, what's the one sentence summary of what you are getting at? Some kind of worry or other is what I'm reading, but like Phogue I'm getting lost a bit.

BTW, the UI vs. C# web service architecture is totally standard. Most of the websites you visit daily are run that way (UI servers talking to back-end servers, that is). Actually, the C#/.Net back-end is a bit unusual, unless your whole stack is Microsoft, which it clearly isn't with nginx and Mongo and etc. Not a bad thing, I'm just more used to the back-end being C++ or Java, or Python or Ruby.

Who?
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaCharlie9 View Post
    Yeah, I see those big empty blue outlined boxes in the alpha. Is the test plugin supposed to post something into those areas?
    Can you post up a screenshot? If you have the test plugin installed it should be putting content there.

Community Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaCharlie9 View Post
    Are you asking for a reference implementation of a UI front-end, for self-hosters?
    No, not that. Procon C# will be open source and available for people to download and run on their own computer to operate plugins and connect to their game server but will have no GUI; from what I understand so far. So, let's say that a clan owner has a small clan of 10 members and wants to host procon c# on his own computer to reduce operating costs. Will that clan owner have a hard time configuring his router and firewall to allow myrcon's UI to connect to his computer? Outbound connections from his computer to the UI I assume is no problem at all, but inbound connections from the UI to his computer to update his procon c# configuration files when an admin makes a change in the UI; will that be painless?

Who?
    No, not that. Procon C# will be open source and available for people to download and run on their own computer to operate plugins and connect to their game server but will have no GUI; from what I understand so far. So, let's say that a clan owner has a small clan of 10 members and wants to host procon c# on his own computer to reduce operating costs. Will that clan owner have a hard time configuring his router and firewall to allow myrcon's UI to connect to his computer? Outbound connections from his computer to the UI I assume is no problem at all, but inbound connections from the UI to his computer to update his procon c# configuration files when an admin makes a change in the UI; will that be painless?
    This depends on the users level of computer knowledge. If people elect to go this route then they'll need to follow the steps and deal with problems like port forwarding themselves.

Since we host it, it's in our best interest to make it easy to setup. I will only spend time on processes that make it easy for us to setup, not on a GUI to show if a port is open for instance. There are better tools online to determine this.
    Last edited by Phogue; 07-04-2014 at 22:01.