Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Package Update Feedback

My Packages had a (3) updates badge, so I did some updates.

I updated Procon Core, only took a few seconds, no problem.

I randomly jumped down to the third one, Plugins Test, and pressed Update. That took forever, several minutes. Was it hung?

Feedback: during Update, having some kind of progress would be good. Just posting what stage we are at, like "Shutting down instance", "Fetching", "Installing", "Restarting instance", etc., would be good. Then I have some idea that something is happening and that its not just hung, or if hung, in what stage.
    Don't send me private messages (PMs) unless you really need privacy, like your game server password. If you just have a question or need help, post in one of the threads. It's extra work for me to answer questions and give help in private messages and no one else gets the benefit of the answer.

Who?
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaCharlie9 View Post
    I randomly jumped down to the third one, Plugins Test, and pressed Update. That took forever, several minutes. Was it hung?

Feedback: during Update, having some kind of progress would be good. Just posting what stage we are at, like "Shutting down instance", "Fetching", "Installing", "Restarting instance", etc., would be good. Then I have some idea that something is happening and that its not just hung, or if hung, in what stage.
    Possibly a problem shutting down. I do plan on altering this so Procon can recover, with the help of GSP-Panel, by saving the command you initiated, killing the process and loading the command again when GSP-Panel detect the process is dead and restarts it. All to do with the unreliability in unloading an appdomain.

Unfortunately there is no method of providing feedback during any of this. Procon.Core.dll is unloaded so it can be updated and that contains all the code to push events back to the UI. I don't have any immediate ideas on providing feedback in a graceful way.

I'd rather get the current system in place working 99.9% of the time though and go super-fast so feedback becomes a nicety.

Did the package update after all this time? It's possible that the update took merely seconds but the event was lost somewhere, so the UI never updated. If that's the case then that's great. I can probably fix that.

If the package didn't update then bad things. Very bad things.
    I started at DICE late Oct. 2014, so ignore every post before that.

It completed okay, just took a lot longer than the other updates.

EDIT: BTW, the package updates that require a license acceptance work great. It's a little surprising at first that some updates go direct to the update page and others get shunted to the license acceptance page, but it all works smoothly.
    Last edited by PapaCharlie9; 04-04-2014 at 17:37.
    Don't send me private messages (PMs) unless you really need privacy, like your game server password. If you just have a question or need help, post in one of the threads. It's extra work for me to answer questions and give help in private messages and no one else gets the benefit of the answer.

4/4 feedback

BUG/DEFECT: When doing a Kick from the Player view, after the Kick is executed, the next page shown is the Dashboard of all connections, instead of the Player view of the connection I was just on. I'm not sure if it matters, but I tested this on an Official server, so RCON would return an error.

All recent improvements look great. Security settings are now much cleaner and easier to navigate around. Dark red/blue coloring of graphs/charts is easier on the eyes.

The Dashboard world heat map is awesome beyond belief. Just make sure you put the ??? cases on Tasmania (Antartica would be better, but not visible on the map). I wonder if the map might be better in the Overview page of each connection? Or maybe in addition to the Dashboard? I've rarely found aggregate stats across all my active servers to be of much use.

Nit: on the Player view, the column header for KDR ought to be KDR, not "Ratio". If at some point we get to rearrange columns or hide columns, the implication of "Ratio" applying to the previous two columns is going to get lost.

Oh, and I see what you mean about the thing I wouldn't like. The last chat popping up at the bottom is indeed annoying. I hope there is an option to turn that off at some point.

Now I'm just waiting for the functional stuff EB already mentioned. I really miss all the serverInfo stuff, like map/mode, uptime, etc.

Who?
    It completed okay, just took a lot longer than the other updates.

EDIT: BTW, the package updates that require a license acceptance work great. It's a little surprising at first that some updates go direct to the update page and others get shunted to the license acceptance page, but it all works smoothly.
    Okay then, the chances are good that it occurred as fast as the others. Procon UI synchronizes all data with C# every 5 minutes, so when the UI missed the event or C# didn't send the event that it was back online you had to wait for one of these synchronizations to find out everything is up and running.

Instead I can just check on the UI side that if any events are being sent then C# is back online and it's obviously not installing a package, therefore we should synchronize.

Who?
    4/4 feedback

BUG/DEFECT: When doing a Kick from the Player view, after the Kick is executed, the next page shown is the Dashboard of all connections, instead of the Player view of the connection I was just on. I'm not sure if it matters, but I tested this on an Official server, so RCON would return an error.
    I honestly had no idea that button was still functional. That page would be at least three months old, so we're lucky it works

All recent improvements look great. Security settings are now much cleaner and easier to navigate around. Dark red/blue coloring of graphs/charts is easier on the eyes.

The Dashboard world heat map is awesome beyond belief. Just make sure you put the ??? cases on Tasmania (Antartica would be better, but not visible on the map). I wonder if the map might be better in the Overview page of each connection? Or maybe in addition to the Dashboard? I've rarely found aggregate stats across all my active servers to be of much use.
    I may get a designer to pick the exact colours used. I just went with "something darker" from what the last designer/developer chose.

I'm debating moving the map to the connections panel and leaving it off the main dashboard in favour of more information on packages to be updated.

The dashboard should give a broad overview of everything but right now it focuses three panels on player information. At least one of them will need to go, but I see the value in the overview line-graph and the donut graph. I would like to add a couple more donut graphs if I could think of a metric that would be useful.

Nit: on the Player view, the column header for KDR ought to be KDR, not "Ratio". If at some point we get to rearrange columns or hide columns, the implication of "Ratio" applying to the previous two columns is going to get lost.
    It was me looking at "K/D r", "KDR", "Kdr", "K/D R" and saying "Screw it! Ratio."

It may be hard to digest, but the player list is lucky to be there at all. It's lazy and boring. I don't want to spend additional time on column reordering/hiding and what not.

A 64 player server shows almost a thousand data points on that player list. I'm positive you don't care about all of them. I'll be spending more time on the overview/dashboard to show players with outlier values in any field.

Ideas once we're stable: Eventually in the coming months I'd like admins to alt-tab or login with their phone and be shown the player they were seemingly thinking about. If you say in game "Bassie, no rocket launchers!" then EBassie is probably what you're going into Procon for.

I'd like Procon to know your habits to highlight to you what it thinks you want to see. If you frequently kick players shortly after they have used a rocket launcher then those players would be players of interest. Same with swearing, high pings etc.

Oh, and I see what you mean about the thing I wouldn't like. The last chat popping up at the bottom is indeed annoying. I hope there is an option to turn that off at some point.
    I won't be putting an option or settings in for anything. It's a balance of compromises between all tastes, but if I find a medium I like then I'm going to run with it. Every time I implement something good and then put an option on it, it means I then need to maintain functionality I think sucks.

The survey last year revealed a couple points and one of the strongest requests in free-text-fields was chat on all the panels, specifically the player list. The player list and chat were given the highest importance of any panels in Procon #1.

Now I'm just waiting for the functional stuff EB already mentioned. I really miss all the serverInfo stuff, like map/mode, uptime, etc.
    Later in the week, but I can already warn that it won't be as detailed as #1. The top panel for that kind of got carried away at some point, plus we don't have most of that data. My weekend needs to be dedicated to C# to prevent EBassie losing his settings again. See https://forum.myrcon.com/showthread.php?7721-Change-Log

It's also something I have not wanted to do, so it's best to get it over with. Then I started doing it of course and now I'm having fun

Quote Originally Posted by Phogue View Post
    The dashboard should give a broad overview of everything but right now it focuses three panels on player information. At least one of them will need to go, but I see the value in the overview line-graph and the donut graph. I would like to add a couple more donut graphs if I could think of a metric that would be useful.
    The only Dashboard level stat I want to see is crashes/Blazes, or better yet, an at-a-glance graphic that shows me something is going wrong with one or more of my connections/game servers versus averages/past 5 days. That's money. For example, consider a simple bar chart that shows uptime/downtime for the previous 7 days as a percentage. Of my 5 servers, 4 bars show 99% uptime, one shows 71% uptime. I see immediately something is wrong with that server that needs investigating.

Another simple at-a-glance stat is server activity/emptiness. 100% means the server was active (had 4+ players) 24x7 for the previous 7 days. Four of my five show 60% to 90%, but one shows 21% (meaning 79% of the time it was empty). Bad map rotation? Normal vs Custom Battlelog problems? Needs investigating.

Either of those will take database space so maybe you don't want to do it now, but you could mock it up with faux data to see how it looks.

Ideas once we're stable: Eventually in the coming months I'd like admins to alt-tab or login with their phone and be shown the player they were seemingly thinking about. If you say in game "Bassie, no rocket launchers!" then EBassie is probably what you're going into Procon for.

I'd like Procon to know your habits to highlight to you what it thinks you want to see. If you frequently kick players shortly after they have used a rocket launcher then those players would be players of interest. Same with swearing, high pings etc.
    As long as your guess doesn't get in my way if it's wrong, which it will be a lot. I'd advise always showing the vanilla layout/UI, particularly for mobile where muscle-memory counts, and add a quick button (don't make me navigate 3 levels of menu) that goes to the prediction. Let me opt-in on a case-by-case basis. I have yet to meet a predictive UI that I liked.

The survey last year revealed a couple points and one of the strongest requests in free-text-fields was chat on all the panels, specifically the player list. The player list and chat were given the highest importance of any panels in Procon #1.
    Text entry box I can live with. I don't think the survey said anything about annoying me with the latest chat.

Apr 5 feedback.

After updating 3 packages, I logged out and logged back in again. Hung up in the Loading screen (bar was about 60% full). Browser refresh did not help. Exiting browser and using a new one did not help. On third try, finally got past loading screen. Hung about 4 minutes.

EDIT: Since I'm a masochist, I logged out and logged in again. This time the hang lasted more than 4 minutes and ended with a 504 Gateway Time-out error page.
    Last edited by PapaCharlie9; 05-04-2014 at 17:45.

Who?
    Apr 5 feedback.

After updating 3 packages, I logged out and logged back in again. Hung up in the Loading screen (bar was about 60% full). Browser refresh did not help. Exiting browser and using a new one did not help. On third try, finally got past loading screen. Hung about 4 minutes.

EDIT: Since I'm a masochist, I logged out and logged in again. This time the hang lasted more than 4 minutes and ended with a 504 Gateway Time-out error page.
    Tiny server problems and related to the emails I'm getting from amazon every 30 mins about 100% CPU usage.

I optimized event handling a lot last night which I thought would lower usage.

I'll chat to Hubert and see what's up. Last time it was an issue with deployment script not shutting down before updating, so we had 5 versions of the site running on the micro instance.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Who?
    Apr 5 feedback.

It's still just hardware issues, but now the progress bar shouldn't hang unless there is a javascript error.

https://forum.myrcon.com/showthread.php?7721-Change-Log

• [UI] Included status update messages to splash screen
    • [UI] Included error timeout on websocket initiation. Now displays an error, countdown and refreshes the page after 20 seconds.