Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

2014-04-02 Papa's Feedback

"DICE made two BF games while this was being made.."
    and

"Ike broke it"
    ROFL That part is working great! In fact, pretty amazing for only 2 days work on the WHMCS store-front.

A couple of very minor nitpick feedback comments about signing up:

* When I typed in my "Community Name" (Papas Procon Party), I didn't realize that would become my logon name as well as the URL for the instance I was buying. The URL is fine, I could see that being constructed, but I must have missed that it would become my user name. Making that a bit clearer in the sign-up page would be good, since I ended up with a name much longer than I want to type. Or let me pick a user name that is separate from the instance name/URL. The [Change Username] doesn't do anything yet, no surprise there.

* It's a bit confusing that I created a password for the WHMCS system and then the confirmation email for my instance sends me a different, synthetic password. I mean, it makes sense after I thought about it -- first is for the store, second is for the procon server -- but at the time when I got the confirmation email with yet another password, I was confused. In any case, I did what the mail said and changed my password.

Like I said, very minor, not worth fixing right now, but before roll-out broadly might save on some support requests.

PC9
    Don't send me private messages (PMs) unless you really need privacy, like your game server password. If you just have a question or need help, post in one of the threads. It's extra work for me to answer questions and give help in private messages and no one else gets the benefit of the answer.

Who?
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaCharlie9 View Post
    That part is working great! In fact, pretty amazing for only 2 days work on the WHMCS store-front.
    Nick trail blazed the GSP Panel side of things. It was really useful.

You actually have three passwords. One for the client area, one for the GSP Panel (you're never shown) and one generated for Procon UI.

I plan on formatting the email templates so the Procon UI one is obvious. I may even look into hiring an English student to do copy text for us.

The username conundrum.. I didn't want to present a username option twice during sign up to avoid confusion over which is the WHMCS login, same as I didn't want people to enter a password for Procon UI during sign up. This is unavoidable when hosting procon yourself of course, but I expect people doing so will be of the techy-variety or following instructions from a host.

Instead of picking the initial username or using a generic "Admin" I was going to add a change-username function for the user and even throw in a tip suggesting they change their username and password.
    Last edited by PapaCharlie9; 02-04-2014 at 18:08.
    I started at DICE late Oct. 2014, so ignore every post before that.

In that case, just add a "This will be your initial user name and you can change it later" caption under the field.
    Don't send me private messages (PMs) unless you really need privacy, like your game server password. If you just have a question or need help, post in one of the threads. It's extra work for me to answer questions and give help in private messages and no one else gets the benefit of the answer.

Okay, now that I have a connection up, overall impressions. Sorry, it's going to be mostly user experience stuff, fwiw.

Overall, I like the "modern" flat look of everything. I absolutely love all the graphs and stats widgets. Everything seems to be organized in a useful and easy to understand way. The reactive HTML design is very nice, should look pretty good on phones or tablets.

Now for the complaints:

* The usage of screen real estate is a bit greedy, even with the reactive design. It's not as compact as Procon-1. I needed to make my browser full screen on my 1600x900 laptop to see everything. That's at 100%. If I use my browser (Chrome) scaling function to reduce everything to 75% of normal, it's much better. So in general, reduce everything by 25% in size and I'll like it better.

Suggestions:
    + Make the left panel auto hide or add a control to be able to hide it (EDIT: NEVERMIND, I discovered that the upper-RIGHT menu control closes the LEFT panel, very confusing)
    + Reduce the vertical height of the Connections>xxx header at the top, even if it means sacrificing the mini stat graphs that are TBD.
    + Move (or remove in favor of right-click menus) the kick/ban menu bar at the top to the bottom
    + Reduce the vertical height of the header area at the top of each team table (Players view)
    + Consider putting the connection details (name, IP address, uptime, etc.) in the Procon frame (black background) at the top, rather than nested within, to save space.

* The chat message floating window at the bottom is really annoying. It gets in the way of stuff I want to see. Make it autohide or maybe a control to reduce it just to the chat text field? Or only show it when I select the chat view?

* Speaking of chat, I don't know if I like the Twitter/Facebook style of time stamps. "One second ago," that has to update as time goes by if no new chat happens creates eye-catching flashing in the UI. Maybe I just need to get used to it, but first impression is I want HH:MM:SS back. And again, each line takes up 3x as much space vertically as Procon-1 does, so I only get to see at most 10 messages in the chat view, full screen.

* Oops. I broke something. I'm not sure what I did, but fooling around with making the left panel hide/reveal lost my connection-specific menu panel, e.g., I can't see the Players nor Chat views anymore, nothing to select. I had to refresh the page to bring it back.

EDIT: * One additional idea for chat: The badge for Team/Player scope of chat is distracting. It's a dark color relative to everything else and large, for something that barely deserves 8 pixels in the UI. And using font color to denote team probably isn't the best choice, particularly that Peptobismol pink color.

Instead, how about formatting each full chat line like this:

[Flag of faction] [Player Name]
    [Player's chat message]

Where [Flag of faction] is an icon.

Then use font color of all to denote scope of chat: black for Global, blue for Team, green for Squad, orange for Admin, brown for Player only (if that is even logged).

The compact chat format would be:

[Flag of faction] [Player Name] [Player's chat message]

Again using font color to denote scope.

Making the font colors track to what happens in game would be more familiar to admins. Of course, if each protocol uses different colors or doesn't use colors at all for scope will complicate the implementation, but I think it will be appreciated rather than one-size-fits-all coloring.
    Last edited by PapaCharlie9; 02-04-2014 at 19:31.

Who?
    Padding: Most of the padding will be worked through when the responsive parts are finalized.

Right now it looks okay'ish on mobile and tablet, but I will be spending some time on this. Notably padding and font sizes (less padding, larger font sizes + buttons on mobile).

While I'm doing this I will also be compacting the interface to find the balance between usable and ugly.

Left Menu: I have something to shrink it, but I'm not going to hide it. The menu button displaying on desktop will more than likely be removed. The replacement will be able to "shrink" the menu, but it will always be visible.

This avoids support questions "Where the shit is my menu?". I might go add this in now.

Chat: Good points, I've worked on the chat today. You'll like some of the changes. You won't like some of the changes.

Added some smarts to the mini chat
    The mini chat now hides all items when the input box is not focused, however it will display new messages for 10 seconds regardless of the message box being in focus.

Removed [Team] [Squad] on the right of player name
    This is replaced with a circle to the left of the player name. It's outer colour denotes the players team and the inner colour the scope of the message.

There is no method of showing the scope of a message going to a squad. Most games won't support squads.

Main chat is now in-line, much like mini chat.

Changed the colours of Team 1 and Team 2. They are now 'stronger' colours.

Who?
    Quote Originally Posted by Phogue View Post
    Left Menu: I have something to shrink it, but I'm not going to hide it. The menu button displaying on desktop will more than likely be removed. The replacement will be able to "shrink" the menu, but it will always be visible.This avoids support questions "Where the shit is my menu?".
    This should be live in a minute.

+ Move (or remove in favor of right-click menus) the kick/ban menu bar at the top to the bottom
    I frequently get yelled at by front end developers for suggesting things like this. Their response is always "There is no right click on mobile".

Now I'm building something like this, their feed back makes sense. I won't be putting any "right-click activated somethings", but I will enhance the desktop with "hover somethings".Primary things like navigation would be handled in a nearly identical way on mobile and desktop, otherwise the responsiveness is kind of broken.

I frequently get yelled at by front end developers for suggesting things like this. Their response is always "There is no right click on mobile".
    So you use long press on mobile. I hate narrow-minded, intractable designers.

I do understand the problem with making the controls too small for adult fat fingers. There are techniques for handling that that don't punish laptop users, though. This isn't 2012, after all!

BTW, s/reactive/responsive/. I got the right consonant, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by EBassie View Post
    My Feedback:
    Hey, can't we afford a separate thread for you? I thought this was my personal gripe-at-phogue thread.

That said, I +1 all of your feedback. I'm Papa and I approve this message.

The one and only Bassyboy
    Hey, can't we afford a separate thread for you? I thought this was my personal gripe-at-phogue thread.

That said, I +1 all of your feedback. I'm Papa and I approve this message.
    Thanks and I fixed that for you :P

EDIT: LOL. That's like fixing a memory leak by adding more RAM.
    Last edited by PapaCharlie9; 03-04-2014 at 19:19.

Chat: Good points, I've worked on the chat today. You'll like some of the changes. You won't like some of the changes.
    I like the changes I've seen today. I don't see anything I don't like.

This is replaced with a circle to the left of the player name. It's outer colour denotes the players team and the inner colour the scope of the message.
    I like that a lot, though I think the way I would have put it is an unfilled circle is global scope and a filled circle is team scope. There's no difference between the inner and outer colors, right? I can't see any on my laptop.

What are you doing for SQDM? Are there four sets of colors?