Who?

2014-04-02 Packages, Tips and Optimizations

Today's TODO:

Packages are not showing up when you initially run Procon. I'll be looking into this over the next 24 hours. It seems to be a problem with Procon C# not fetching from the repository, so the UI is pulling empty lists back from C#. https://github.com/Myrcon/Procon-2/issues/58

I will be posting contextual tips around the UI to get people going. Tip on the "Create Connection" when you have no protocols to "Go install a protocol package".

The database is at 160 mb of 500 mb. I will be spending a little bit of time doing basic optimizations on the quantity of data we are storing. There are some very easy and dramatic steps that can be taken here.

I may see about pulling over some style sheets into WHMCS client area so it has a Procon UI look and feel.
    Last edited by Phogue; 02-04-2014 at 13:32.
    I started at DICE late Oct. 2014, so ignore every post before that.

Is this the right place to put testing feedback or you want elsewhere?

Connection creation (Procon test server using IP 85.114.157.68:27116, butterfliesftw) didn't work for me. I got a blank red pop-up dialog. Also the list of protocols is empty.

Is that expected? Am I jumping the gun? Pilot error? Regretting putting this loaded gun in my hand?
    Don't send me private messages (PMs) unless you really need privacy, like your game server password. If you just have a question or need help, post in one of the threads. It's extra work for me to answer questions and give help in private messages and no one else gets the benefit of the answer.

Who?
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaCharlie9 View Post
    Is this the right place to put testing feedback or you want elsewhere?
    I will be working on this 14 hours a day for the next month, unless a contract comes in.

I will probably make posts each day with what I'm doing and lock them when the day is done. It's not as efficient as a bug tracker, but I'll handle it.

Who?
    I've found the GSP Panel is shutting down servers at 5 minutes past the hour. I'm not 100%, but I think this is part of the 30 day trial we have for this product. Since it's license based we will be purchasing the license on the 19'th.

Until then you may need to login to the gsp panel and poke your server online for the 20 minutes you want to view updates I post about here.

Who?
    Quote Originally Posted by Phogue View Post
    Packages are not showing up when you initially run Procon. I'll be looking into this over the next 24 hours. It seems to be a problem with Procon C# not fetching from the repository, so the UI is pulling empty lists back from C#. https://github.com/Myrcon/Procon-2/issues/58
    Fixed for new installs. The streaming user did not have permission to query the packages list.

You others can rectify your installs by setting the "Stream" permission group to have the permission "PackagesFetchPackages".

Quote Originally Posted by Phogue View Post
    Fixed for new installs. The streaming user did not have permission to query the packages list.

You others can rectify your installs by setting the "Stream" permission group to have the permission "PackagesFetchPackages".
    Keep in mind that I am a total noob to all this and don't have a clue about the conceptual models behind how this is supposed to work. Am I the only one?

You didn't mention that that simple sounding change actually requires several different steps. I had to trial-and-error to figure out that:

* You select Security on the left panel.

* You select the Administrators group (not the more obvious Stream choice) on the left panel.

* Scroll down to the Packages section to find PackagesFetchPackages and set to Stream(N). (What is N by the way? It was 3 for me)

* I signed off/signed back on to make sure it took (necessary?)

* Now the Packages item on the left panel had an update badge (2 for me).

* I Installed and Updated all of the packages displayed.

* Finally, when I went back to the Create Connection page ... it still didn't have any protocols listed!

Fortunately, I guessed it was a browser cache illusion and when I refreshed the page, bingo!

One more hitch, though. My browser (Chrome) auto-completed the port and password entries that I had typed in before. So I only typed in the ip address. Unfortunately, it looks like the Create button is enabled only if you type something in the password field. Since I didn't, the button didn't work. I figured it out. Either make typing in any field enable the button, or, require the protocol to be selected rather than the password, since that isn't auto-completed. Probably ought to not enable if no protocol is selected anyway.

BTW, the BFBC2 icon is broken on that page.
    Don't send me private messages (PMs) unless you really need privacy, like your game server password. If you just have a question or need help, post in one of the threads. It's extra work for me to answer questions and give help in private messages and no one else gets the benefit of the answer.