Bunch of questions

So I've started renting a server for my clan since the start of the game, back then I was already quite confused but since I didnt really touch the game alot until now I didn't really look into settings etc.
    Now I've got quite some questions which I hope someone could help me with the answers here

• What are all the differences between Official and Ranked?
    • Does filling a server on Ranked, take much more time to get filled?
    • When I first tried setting up procon, my settings/users got wiped everytime the server restarted. Is this still an issue?

Regards,
    Soulbeat

FWIW, those are not a lot of questions, but they are good ones.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBeat View Post

• What are all the differences between Official and Ranked?
    • Does filling a server on Ranked, take much more time to get filled?
    • When I first tried setting up procon, my settings/users got wiped everytime the server restarted. Is this still an issue?
    For the "official" explanation, look at the BF4 PC server docs:

https://forum.myrcon.com/showthread....st-Server-Docs

Scroll to bottom of first post, use the highest numbered link to docs, unzip, look at the PC Server Administration doc. There are tables in that doc that show how Ranked and Official differ.

Conceptually, think of Official as a much more restricted version of Ranked. The theory is that the player's in-game experience and their rankable stats, like kills per minute, are more "as Dice intended" on Official than on any other type. In order to insure that player experience consistency, a bunch of admin commands are disabled, like ban, kick, kill and move.

The reality is pretty close to that, but there is a downside: disabling all the admin commands means there is no way to police the server for cheaters. Therefore, cheaters are attracted to Official servers. I've seen this first hand, particularly in Domination.

During the early days of of the BF4 launch, filling an Official server was much easier than filling a Ranked. That no longer appears to be the case. Both are hard to fill now. Not impossible, though. Dedicated server idling and people who are willing to play 4 or 6 handed for several rounds in order to get the server started up and filling are the key, regardless of whether you use Ranked or Official.

For your last question, which "server" are you talking about? The game server (unlikely) or the Procon layer host? By "users" do you mean Procon accounts, which would only apply to a layer?

Since you admit to being a noob, the most likely explanation is a misunderstanding about where settings are stored and which ones count, that is, which ones matter to the server when it restarts. As long as you have good settings in startup.txt, maplist.txt and I guess reservedSlots.txt (is that what you meant by users?) on your game server, via your ranked server provider's control panel or FTP access, you will be fine. The server will "remember" your settings. Everything else is a copy and not necessarily permanent.
    Don't send me private messages (PMs) unless you really need privacy, like your game server password. If you just have a question or need help, post in one of the threads. It's extra work for me to answer questions and give help in private messages and no one else gets the benefit of the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaCharlie9 View Post
    FWIW, those are not a lot of questions, but they are good ones.
    I had more questions in my mind at first but when finally making this post I couldn't remember most of them so I forgot to edit the title

Quote Originally Posted by PapaCharlie9 View Post
    For the "official" explanation, look at the BF4 PC server docs:

https://forum.myrcon.com/showthread....st-Server-Docs

Scroll to bottom of first post, use the highest numbered link to docs, unzip, look at the PC Server Administration doc. There are tables in that doc that show how Ranked and Official differ.

Conceptually, think of Official as a much more restricted version of Ranked. The theory is that the player's in-game experience and their rankable stats, like kills per minute, are more "as Dice intended" on Official than on any other type. In order to insure that player experience consistency, a bunch of admin commands are disabled, like ban, kick, kill and move.

The reality is pretty close to that, but there is a downside: disabling all the admin commands means there is no way to police the server for cheaters. Therefore, cheaters are attracted to Official servers. I've seen this first hand, particularly in Domination.

During the early days of of the BF4 launch, filling an Official server was much easier than filling a Ranked. That no longer appears to be the case. Both are hard to fill now. Not impossible, though. Dedicated server idling and people who are willing to play 4 or 6 handed for several rounds in order to get the server started up and filling are the key, regardless of whether you use Ranked or Official.

For your last question, which "server" are you talking about? The game server (unlikely) or the Procon layer host? By "users" do you mean Procon accounts, which would only apply to a layer?

Since you admit to being a noob, the most likely explanation is a misunderstanding about where settings are stored and which ones count, that is, which ones matter to the server when it restarts. As long as you have good settings in startup.txt, maplist.txt and I guess reservedSlots.txt (is that what you meant by users?) on your game server, via your ranked server provider's control panel or FTP access, you will be fine. The server will "remember" your settings. Everything else is a copy and not necessarily permanent.
    As you say it's almost as hard to fill an official server, I noticed that today, it took me about 2 hours to finally get it filled.
    Would it take about the same time to fill a Ranked server or longer? As I'm kind of put off by the disabled commands.
    I'm in no way someone that likes to kick people out of the server (other than cheaters of course) but there was some guy calling everyone a 'faggot' who didn't bring him to his camping spot with a chopper, so yeah those are people I like to give a 10 minute break from my server at least.

For the last question, I had connected my Procon program to the procon layer that was set up on my server and had made several accounts for the people responsible as admins for the server but when that got restarted after a server crash everything was gone.
    I'm really confused as to how to get these things set up for ever without them wiping every time.

Thanks for your input already!

Put it this way, there are plenty of Ranked servers that get filled up. Even Ranked/Custom servers. So it has less to do with Ranked vs Official and more to do with idling, dedication (of your members playing on your server) and the modes/maps you run.

As for your layer restart problem, that's unusual. You might want to file a support ticket with your hoster and find out what is going wrong. That shouldn't happen. Unless they did something dumb like when Procon updated, they created a whole new folder for your layer installation and didn't copy over the old settings.

To make sure this doesn't happen again, logon directly to your layer host (Remote Desktop, ideally). Setup up Procon again with all of the settings and user accounts, then make a backup copy of the whole procon folder, or, if you have limited space, just the procon/Configs folder. You can leave a copy on your layer host, but for extra protection, zip it up and transfer the zip file to your laptop or a flash drive or something like that. Even Dropbox.

Then if this happens again, restoring is just a matter of copying a folder.
    Don't send me private messages (PMs) unless you really need privacy, like your game server password. If you just have a question or need help, post in one of the threads. It's extra work for me to answer questions and give help in private messages and no one else gets the benefit of the answer.