Developer

Procon layer login issue

Hey guys!

I recently got contacted by an iOS Procon user who did not seem to be able to connect to his layer server using his iPhone. Even though he entered the connection data correctly the connection attempts would always time out and fail. After he submitted the connection data to me I managed to reproduce the issue and find out what the problem was.

The issue seems to be that the layer server does not give a response to the "procon.registerUid" command. One would expect a simple "OK" or an indication of Uid conflict. Unfortunately iOS Procon always waits for a response to the command before continuing the layer server login process which in this case leads to a timeout and connection fail because a response is never received. For some reason the Windows version doesn't wait for the response or at least continues the login process anyway which is why I could still log in using Windows Procon.

It looks like this person is using the latest Procon release 1.4.0.9. When I set up my own 1.4.0.9 layer server and connect to it I do actually get an "OK" layer server response to the "procon.registerUid" command. So it may not be an issue that is reproduceable all the time.

Anyhow, there seem to be two ways to fix the issue. Either fix the layer server or reprogram iOS Procon to ignore the missing response. The second way might not be the cleanest because the commands response can not really be regarded as irrelevant. The problem with the first way is that it requires work on your side...

Phil? Do you hear me?
    Last edited by Decker; 28-04-2013 at 23:17.

Developer
    Hi.

Quote Originally Posted by Decker View Post
    Phil? Do you hear me?
    I'll do.

Hmm... there was nothing changed around that function but it could be an effect of the changes to prevent that dead lock loop while handling packets... maybe I'll find something..

Greets
    Phil.

Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_K View Post
    Hmm... there was nothing changed around that function but it could be an effect of the changes to prevent that dead lock loop while handling packets... maybe I'll find something..
    Great, thanks! Please tell me if you could find (and possibly fix) anything.

Greets
    Decker

Hi.

I'll do.

Greets
    Phil.
    Since the problem doesn't always happen, it could also be a problem that has always been there, but only iOS procon detects it.

Is there anything special about the user's set up? Long ping time between layer and iOS, for example? Are they running their layer on Linux?

It would be helpful if you could repeat the test with Event and Debug selected in the console.log. Then we could see the timing of the request and response (if any).
    Don't send me private messages (PMs) unless you really need privacy, like your game server password. If you just have a question or need help, post in one of the threads. It's extra work for me to answer questions and give help in private messages and no one else gets the benefit of the answer.

Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaCharlie9 View Post
    Since the problem doesn't always happen, it could also be a problem that has always been there, but only iOS procon detects it.
    Quite right. We should probably blame Phogue for this... On the other hand it's funny that is hasn't been reported by any other iOS Procon user so far over the last (almost) 3 years...

Is there anything special about the user's set up? Long ping time between layer and iOS, for example? Are they running their layer on Linux?
    Good questions. I moved the thread from dev to the iOS forum so the user in question named Odyseus42 gets the opportunity to contribute with some answers.

It would be helpful if you could repeat the test with Event and Debug selected in the console.log. Then we could see the timing of the request and response (if any).
    I actually already tried this but a login on a layer server with "debug" set to on leads to such a massive amount of spam that the initial login sequence is swept away from the log immediately. But I think I wouldn't help much either. The command is send and there's just no answer. Not much timing issues involved in this.
    Last edited by Decker; 01-05-2013 at 21:01.

Developer
    Any news from your side? Thanks again for offering to look into the issue.

Developer
    [EDIT]

Hey guys! Today I received an update from the user that reported the issue:

Quote Originally Posted by Odyseus42
    Hi,
    I don't know if anything changed on the program, but our server provider did an update and now everything works great. I don't know if Trinity Games, our provider, wasn't fully compatible in some way, but the issue seems to be resolved now. I will say that the app is great, and I'll definitely be giving a good review. One idea, would it be possible to keep the app somewhat connected even when the phone is locked? It'd be helpful to unlock, and see some of the past chats, and check to see if there are any problem with the players without leaving the phone constantly unlocked with the app up.

Thank you,
    Odyseus42
    So everything seems to be fine now. Don't know really what went wrong in the first place neither what could have been updated or fixed by the provider but I guess the outcome is what counts.

Thanks all for your help!

Decker
    Last edited by Decker; 07-05-2013 at 05:01.