Lightbulb Feature Request: Autoreconnect

Hello Decker, Hello everyone else,

i using Procon on iOS since the first day. Its a very useful tool because i dont have to switch back to my Desktop. But the following is a little bit annoying.
    To better explain what i mean i have to write a story.

This happens every day:

i playing on my Server and everything is okay. But some player don't accept the rules and need to kick/ban or what else. Sometimes i just have to change the next map while the countdown is already running after the end of the round.
    So i have to do it quickly.

The following happens on my iPhone 3GS (true story):

Damn where is my Phone
    [searching the phone]
    okay i found my phone! [20 Seconds left to change the map]
    i need to unlock it... type in my code...
    Procon wasnt the last application that i run, so i have to doubletap on the homebutton
    i select Procon from the multitaskingmenu.
    [someone is asking me if i already changed the map] [12 Seconds left]
    Procon is starting... [ahh c'mon]
    An alert pops up! (Error connection lost. please reconnect!)
    click on "ok"
    selecting the Server again
    connecting... [5 seconds left]
    The app is showing me the "startpage" and not the recently selected tap/page
    click on Settings -> maplist
    i see the maplist and my currently running map but...
    after a half second the maplist is scrolling to the end... argh...
    [again someone is asking me: Did you changed the ... Answer: Damn NO!!!!]
    scrolling back to the top
    selecting the map
    [its to late. new map already started...]

So im sure you cant make my slow iPhone 3GS faster but you can change some things.

Can you remove the annoying alert (Error connection lost...) and build in an auto reconnect? Im sure nobody needs this popup because the only thing he/she want to do is to connect the the last connected server.
    The second step could be to restore the last opened tap/page (Serverinfo, Players, Setting and so on)

Sometimes i opened the playerlist and when i lock my phone and quickly need to get back i have to do all things again.

The last thing: Why is the maplist autoscrolling to the bottom? My iPhone isn't the fastest... i see the maplist, want to scroll to the right position (i already started scrolling) and than the list is scrolling to the bottom... my maplist is really long. i really hate it (sorry for that).
    There can be 2 ways...
    The first it not to scroll to the bottom. Leave it at the top.
    The second is to scroll to the currently running map. Mostly i just want to skip one map. Or want to change to a map that is under my currently running map. So it cant be wrong to scroll to the currently running map because i don't need the previous maps.

Hopefully you can put yourself in my place.
    Thanks for reading this thread and maybe applying this features

Have a good weekend

(puh, done!)

Developer
    First of all I have to say that I appreciate your feedback a lot. It's been getting a bit silent around here - any suggestions are always welcome. Let me comment on yours.

I don't really come across the first issue you mentioned because I tend to disconnect from the server when I'm done admining. This way when I start the app I don't get to see the disconnection message box. But anyway getting auto reconnect into the app makes perfect sense.

About putting the user back to last screen he or she was looking at - well I don't know - I like to always first look at the server tab when I connect. This way I get the best first impression of the current state of the server (players, map, scores).

About the list automatically scrolling to the bottom: This little feature was actually requested by another user who wanted to be able to access the "Add new..." button on the end of the list more quickly. But maybe for the map list it makes more sense to scroll to the map the server is playing (which is actually sometimes hard to tell due to some rcon protocol issues but that's another story).

Please allow me some time to implement the changes. Currently the whole Procon team is eagerly waiting for the MoHW rcon docs to surface... so the next big update you can expect will first and foremost be MOH related.

Thank you very much for your input!

Decker.

... I appreciate your feedback a lot ...
    Thanks! I do that because i bulding web-apps and i know the problem if people say "i dont like this, i dont like that" but nobody is telling me how to do it better.

The first issue happens if i'm already connected to the server and lock my phone (because of the higher battery drain).
    If i unlock my phone (for example after 5 minutes) i got the "connection lost" alert. If i lock my phone and unlock it within a short time it works well, because the App don't get an timeout.

I like to always first look at the server tab when I connect
    Okay you are right. Makes sense. But maybe we can make a compromise.
    What about getting to the start screen if you manually disconnect from the server and getting back to the recent page if the app lost the connection to the server because the iPhone dont want to keep the connection alive while its locked or the app is in the background. But i dont know if you use the disconnect Button to disconnect from the server or just lock your phone or close the app. I understand if you dont want to use the disconnect button (if you dont already do this) to get back to the startscreen because someone sayed "use this way to get the old behavor"

I would say maybe its a little bit irritating if you dont get back to the last screen after you lost the connection and the app is autoreconnecting to the server.
    (Sorry i building web-apps who has to be very very userfrindly because some users dont understand anything whats happening there. But thats a other story)
    The good thing is: Its your App and you can decide whats right or wrong. I dont want to persuade you.

The auto-scolling thing

Maybe put the "Add new..." to the top menu (between "<Settings" and "edit"). The problem is that there isnt realy enough space. Maybe you find a way.

Please allow me some time to implement the changes
    Take the time you need

Greetings from Berlin

Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by UserNo234 View Post
    ... what about getting to the start screen if you manually disconnect from the server and getting back to the recent page if the app lost the connection ...

... I would say maybe its a little bit irritating if you dont get back to the last screen after you lost the connection and the app is autoreconnecting to the server...
    You are perfectly right. This is how it should be done. Thanks again!
    Last edited by Decker; 20-10-2012 at 08:52.

Great. Sounds good!

*waiting for the new release*

have a nice weekend