Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Administrator

Re: Stream chat to MySql Database [Ver 1.1]

Quote Originally Posted by leadly
    With syslog the files are in plain text and in linux you have built in utilities like logrotate already in place to rotate the logs on a scheduled basis.

For windows systems you can download a lot of different syslog servers and viewers. One the most popular is probably kiwisyslog (there is a pay version and a free version). Using a syslog format is just more in tune with the type of data (a log) and it precludes the necessity of writing a php interface to select the data from the table(s). To me it just seems like a better fit, but I could be wrong.

I thought I read something about R13 giving us access to the logs now.. which might make this plugin necessary for more specific situations... i.e. making the logs available via a web interface in a community/clan site. In that scenario MySQL would be a superior choice.
    Making the logs accessible via a web interface is the entire point of this plugin.. For example, we use it to scan the day's chat to see what was going on, and generate troublemaker reports if need be.. You can easily search for specific words, names dates etc..

R13 won't affect its operation at all.

Using SQL and a browser for this task is akin to using a knife and fork to eat soup. Sure you can write a ton of code in PHP to interface to the database, but in the end you are using a whole pile of tools to do a simple text search on a acsii log file.

As I tried to state previously the only advantage is if you wanted this to be publicly available. I personally have no interest in making the chat logs and their associated drama more of a spectacle in public. For me it would only be a tool for a admin to use to research a problem child.

I guess it just isn't a good fit for my needs at the moment. Regardless, enjoy your plugin and thanks for contributing to and expanding the ProCON addons.

TTFN

Administrator

Using SQL and a browser for this task is akin to using a knife and fork to eat soup. Sure you can write a ton of code in PHP to interface to the database, but in the end you are using a whole pile of tools to do a simple text search on a acsii log file.

As I tried to state previously the only advantage is if you wanted this to be publicly available. I personally have no interest in making the chat logs and their associated drama more of a spectacle in public. For me it would only be a tool for a admin to use to research a problem child.

I guess it just isn't a good fit for my needs at the moment. Regardless, enjoy your plugin and thanks for contributing to and expanding the ProCON addons.

TTFN
    which is why this is a plugin for procon.. which is a admin tool.. for admins.. for admin related tasks such as reviewing the chat logs easily...

Quote Originally Posted by Zaeed
    which is why this is a plugin for procon.. which is a admin tool.. for admins.. for admin related tasks such as reviewing the chat logs easily...
    I didn't realize that installing and configuring MySQL then writing code in PHP (or whatever you prefer) to parse and search a database was easier than typing "grep <problemchild> filename.log". I guess I have been searching text files the "hard way" for the last few decades.

As I said for those who have no desire to jump through all the hoops you have implemented and would just like to stream and archive the logs locally... syslog is the proper tool. However, as I have previously conceded, for those who want to post everything to a web site your plugin should work just fine and dandy. I will be opting to not use it since it doesn't really meet my needs. Again, thank you for enhancing ProCon with your plugin.

My apologies for bothering you. I will move along so as to not further ruffle your feathers.

Administrator

I didn't realize that installing and configuring MySQL then writing code in PHP (or whatever you prefer) to parse and search a database was easier than typing "grep <problemchild> filename.log". I guess I have been searching text files the "hard way" for the last few decades.

As I said for those who have no desire to jump through all the hoops you have implemented and would just like to stream and archive the logs locally... syslog is the proper tool. However, as I have previously conceded, for those who want to post everything to a web site your plugin should work just fine and dandy. I will be opting to not use it since it doesn't really meet my needs. Again, thank you for enhancing ProCon with your plugin.

My apologies for bothering you. I will move along so as to not further ruffle your feathers.

I see where you're coming from, but there are many cases where getting direct access to the log files might not be ideal. Procon hosting services are one such example, since users don't have direct access to the machine running procon. Also making the file available to multiple admins could be a pain, and then also teaching them to use new software and commands.

Most people that use procon will probably already have a MySql server setup for their website, and someone has provided a php script for use.

With this solution, it is incredibly easy for an admin to review the chat logs, without the hassle of having to go fetch a new copy of the log file, then running it through another bit of software.

Procon hosting services are one such example, since users don't have direct access to the machine running procon.
    without the hassle of having to go fetch a new copy of the log file, then running it through another bit of software.
    I really don't think you understand how syslog works. Which might explain the difficulty we are having in discussing our differences in desired functionality.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Syslog is a standard for logging program messages . It allows separation of the software that generates messages from the system that stores them and the software that reports and analyzes them. It also provides devices, which would otherwise be unable to communicate, a means to notify administrators of problems or performance.
    I fully conceded that if you want to publish things to the web then logging everything into a MySQL table would be a fine solution when combined with the proper PHP scripts to parse and search the table. I am not and have not ever meant to imply otherwise.

However, my interest is in archiving and rotating the log files to a remote server. The main function of having a syslog functionality would be for me to be able to stream the data onto a remote server to archive the logs (with a rotation). Which is precisely what a syslog server does.

So... I fully understand the motivation for your plugin. I am just simply stating that my needs and desires for logging differ. I wish you nothing but the best of luck with your plugin and its continued development. Your efforts are genuinely appreciated by me even if though this plugin doesn't fit my needs.

Thank you.

Here is a c# sender class that might make the syslog concept a bit clearer.
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com/articles/20050212.asp

It's a little bit off topic.

How difficult would it be to convert this code to save event log data to a mysql database. Specifically entry, exits, kicks, quits, or server stops and so on?

Saving ANY data that can help analyze a server can be useful. The server chat for one is VERY useful so congrats on the plugin so far.

Many thanks.

Flav is there anyway you can include what server the chat is coming from in your php? btw im getting double chat just like GrossKopf.