Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

[HowTo] Install and Configure the PRoCon.Service.exe as a Windows Service

Service installation

1. Install PRoCon as normal and setup your Servers and Layers
    2. Make sure you can connect to your Layer Server when the Full Client or the Console is running
    3. Close PRoCon
    4. Open a CMD Prompt with Administrator Rights
    5. Run this command:
      Code:
      C:\Windows\system32>sc create PRoConLayerService start= auto binpath= "E:\Procon
      \Procon_Instance\PRoCon.Service.exe" DisplayName= "PRoCon Layer Service"
      Note:
      "binpath" is the full path the PRoCon.Service.exe
      Dont forget the whitespaces after the "=", it is necessary.

6. If the command was correct you should get such an response.
      Code:
      [SC] CreateService SUCCESS
    7. Now you service is ready to start.
      Go to Services and start you service.
    8. Have Fun!

Note:
    • You might need to open the Ports in the Windows Firewall for the PRoCon.Service.exe
    • You can change the User under which the service is running under the Log On Tab in the properties.

Tweaks:
    Make the PRoCon.Service automatical restart if it fails

1. Go to Services

2. Rightclick on the Service then chose Properties

3. Click on the third Tab "Recovery"
      On this Page you can define how Windows should react if the service fails.

If you got any questions or problems feel free to ask them here.

Sticky pls :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by XpKiller; 08-04-2012 at 10:57.

It works perfect, you have solved a big issue then the console hangs up (and nobody knows it or isn't available to restart it).

Thank you very much :-)

Is there any reason for me it disables layer servers?
    All instructions followed to the letter, however upon testing via a remote pc restart, when the service is active the layers are de-activated, however when the service isn't running the layers run as normal O_o

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this would be an asset as described by Legate above
    Regards
    Pudd

@Large_Pudding
    The service behaves the same way as the console do. It uses the same configs as the normal client through.
    I set up the service on my own root server and my layers are reachable with not problems.

So i think your PRoCon configs might be faulty.

Hey I run procon on my bf3 server using the rc on my local machine. I was wondering if it's feasible/possible to install the service in a directory on the web. i.e. windows apache based. I'm a web developer and own quite a few hosting accounts and domains. I want to know as I do not want to run my local machine 24/7 so my server admins can use in-game admin etc. when i'm offline. Is this possible (yet)? Install in a web directory and have the rcon up 24/7 as an app? Thanks

@GaWebDevDotCom
    You cannot do that it wouldnt work.
    PRoCon is a standalone Application and no webapp.
    The Windows service is a native windows service.

Quote Originally Posted by Large_Pudding View Post
    Is there any reason for me it disables layer servers?
    All instructions followed to the letter, however upon testing via a remote pc restart, when the service is active the layers are de-activated, however when the service isn't running the layers run as normal O_o

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this would be an asset as described by Legate above
    Regards
    Pudd
    You have to open the ports in your windows firewall.
    I guess to get PRoCon to work you put the application in the Firewall to get it to work. But for the service to work, you need to put the ports of your layerserver into the windowsfirewall as exceptions.

Thank you all for your prompt reply's! As usual, fantastic community support
    Anyhoos,mine too is locally hosted, ports all forwarded, firewall exceptions in place as with appropriate config.. a little stumped, however.. as with your possitive feedback it's surely down to user error so I shall continue to tinker just in case.
    No doubt a face+palm moment shall arise

Thank you again lads, greatly appreciated

Pudd

Thanks for this [HowTo]! Works great as a Service.

My assumption is that it uses slightly less RAM than as a Console, and a LOT less RAM over the full GUI. So far, Console/Service look about the same usage.

- CPx4

The service has some great advantages against the console like automatic recovery, you can log off and it will keep running, less ram usage (the console needs an additional process called conhost.exe ), easy to schedul a restart.