Developer

Exclamation README: iOS Procon BF3 Edition and iOS multitasking

Hey guys!

Some of the users of iOS Procon BF3 expressed their hopes in the forums and in the App store reviews for an implementation of an improved iOS multitasking support. Mainly there are complaints that moving the app to the background will very often result in a loss of connection to the server. This causes the need to reconnect and chat logs and everything are lost in the process.

I'd like to address this issue here to clarify what is going on:

At the moment iOS Procon for BF3 actually already offers a certain level of multitasking functionality. The app does not quit when you press the home button - it moves to the background. From the background it can be reactivated and once you get back into the App you will be put exactly where you left.

So far so good - but there is one problem: The TCP connection to the server will not be kept alive for a very long time after the App is suspended. After a minute or even less (the exact time is not defined) the connection will be terminated by the iOS automatically. The iOS does this obviously to limit the amount of cpu usage and traffic caused by apps running in the background to improve overall performance and battery life of the device. But the result in our case is that iOS Procon will - when fired up again - rightfully tell you that the connection has been lost and it will throw you back into the server list.

I first thought that there's an easy solution: I'd just have to tell the iOS somehow to please refrain from messing with iOS Procons TCP connection to the server. The bad news is that I found out today that there is actually NO WAY to do this. Apple generally does not allow Apps to keep their TCP connections alive when running in the background. The only explicit exception at the moment are VoIP Apps (meaning an App which lets the user phone someone using the internet connection). VoIP Apps are allowed to maintain a connection to be able to receive calls even while being suspended to the background.

Quote Originally Posted by Apple App Store Review guidelines
    2.16 Multitasking apps may only use background services for their intended purposes: VoIP, audio playback, location, task completion, local notifications etc.
    So pretending to be a VoIP App would be to only way to do it. Unfortunately this way the App will never get past the App Store review process. Others have tried before me with no success.

So to sum this up:

I'll unfortunately not be able to offer a better multitasking support at the moment. Hopes of the iOS developer community are that repeated requests by developers will eventually let Apple rethink their rules and allow other kinds of apps to keep up their TCP connections when multitasking is involved.

If I can make you happy in the meantime with any other new features instead please let me know by posting your requests on this forum.

Thank you,
    Decker.
    Last edited by Decker; 15-02-2012 at 21:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Decker View Post
    Hey guys!

Some of the users of iOS Procon BF3 expressed their hopes in the forums and in the App store reviews for an implementation of an improved iOS multitasking support. Mainly there are complaints that moving the app to the background will very often result in a loss of connection to the server. This causes the need to reconnect and chat logs and everything are lost in the process.

I'd like to address this issue here to clarify what is going on:

At the moment iOS Procon for BF3 actually already offers a certain level of multitasking functionality. The app does not quit when you press the home button - it moves to the background. From the background it can be reactivated and once you get back into the App you will be put exactly where you left.

So far so good - but there is one problem: The TCP connection to the server will not be kept alive for a very long time after the App is suspended. After a minute or even less (the exact time is not defined) the connection will be terminated by the iOS automatically. The iOS does this obviously to limit the amount of cpu usage and traffic caused by apps running in the background to improve overall performance and battery life of the device. But the result in our case is that iOS Procon will - when fired up again - rightfully tell you that the connection has been lost and it will throw you back into the server list.

I first thought that there's an easy solution: I'd just have to tell the iOS somehow to please refrain from messing with iOS Procons TCP connection to the server. The bad news is that I found out today that there is actually NO WAY to do this. Apple generally does not allow Apps to keep their TCP connections alive when running in the background. The only explicit exception at the moment are VoIP Apps (meaning an App which lets the user phone someone using the internet connection). VoIP Apps are allowed to maintain a connection to be able to receive calls even while being suspended to the background.

So pretending to be a VoIP App would be to only way to do it. Unfortunately this way the App will never get past the App Store review process. Others have tried before me with no success.

So to sum this up:

I'll unfortunately not be able to offer a better multitasking support at the moment. Hopes of the iOS developer community are that repeated requests by developers will eventually let Apple rethink their rules and allow other kinds of apps to keep up their TCP connections when multitasking is involved.

If I can make you happy in the meantime with any other new features instead please let me know by posting your requests on this forum.

Thank you,
    Decker.
    do you have procon fonr ios 3.1.3 for BF3
    Last edited by Mootart; 17-02-2012 at 18:38.

Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mootart View Post
    do you have procon fonr ios 3.1.3 for BF3
    No, iOS Procon requires at least iOS 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Decker View Post
    No, iOS Procon requires at least iOS 4.
    Daaang to bad. SADNESS

Why can i edit the plugins on the ios procon?

Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by bowlingbob View Post
    Why can i edit the plugins on the ios procon?
    Because iOS Procon is one feature-rich quality app, that's why!

... hmmm or did you maybe want to ask something else?!