Feature request.

Is it possible to have the iOS version to have the ability to just switch to the next map in the rotation instead of having to go through all the rounds? It sounds like the android version has this functionality. Thanks!

Developer
    You can switch to any map you want instantly by just tapping on it in the map list and after that pressing the next round button in the server info tab.

Well, that's assuming the map has only one round. In the case of our match server, we have it set to several rounds so I have to keep pressing the "Next round" button until it hits the end. (Like 4 / 4)

Does that make sense? I just want somethign that bypasses all the still pending rounds.

Developer
    I know what you mean mecra. If you want to skip the remaining rounds of map 1 and just want to continue with map 2 what you need to do is tap on map 2 and then press the next round button. It sounds dumb, because when you play map 1 the "NEXT MAP" pointer will already be at map 2 but try it anyway - you'll see it works!

Here's what's going on:

In iOS Procon for BFBC2 it all worked a bit different and it actually all made more sense. The reason things got complicated lies in the rcon commands that have changed for BF3. The good thing was that in iOS Procon for BFBC2 we had a "NEXT ROUND" pointer instead of a "NEXT MAP" pointer in the map list that we have now for BF3 - this is a BIG difference. Let me explain: The "NEXT ROUND" pointer told you on what map in your map list the next round would take place. For example: if you were on map 1 and in round 2 of 4 it would point to map 1 - because next would be round 3 of 4 on map 1. If you wanted to skip the remaining rounds you would move the pointer from map 1 over to map 2 and tap on the "start next round"-button - pretty intuitive.

In iOS Procon for BF3 we have the darn "NEXT MAP" indicator. That is because we lost the "mapList.nextLevelIndex" command. Primarily DICE didn't think this command was needed at all anymore and they wanted to leave it out. We could convince them on the dev mailing list during the beta to again implement such a command with one striking argument: "People might want to know what map will come up next". But... unfortunately they tried to reinvent the wheel and that's when the trouble started.

They came up with a new "mapList.getMapIndices" command which tells you the index of the current map in the map list and the index of the next map in the map list which comes after the current map has played all rounds. The problem now is that with this command you cannot answer this question :
    "What map will come up next?".
    The question you can answer with this command is this one:
    "What map will be up next after I played an unknown amount of remaining rounds on the current map?".
    And that is the problem.

Now, what iOS Procon BF3 shows in the map list using the "NEXT MAP" indicator is the answer to this second question. And here's the trouble: If you tap on map 2 in the map list because you want to skip the remaining rounds of map 1 what happens is that a "mapList.setNextMapIndex 2" command is fired. Then if you then press the "start next round"-button to fire a "mapList.runNextRound" command the game actually switches over map 2. But the stupid thing is that this behavior was not predictable using the "mapList.getMapIndices" because what the command returned before and after sending the "mapList.setNextMapIndex 2" was exactly the same.

Decker.
    Last edited by Decker; 07-01-2012 at 06:31.