Thread: BF:H muting?

BF:H muting?

Okay so I'm looking at the events here OnPlayerChat for example, is it possible to "cancel" this event (effectively muting that player) or set the text to "" for that player so they cannot communicate?

I understand its not possible in BF:3 but is this still the case for BF:H ?

The one and only Bassyboy
    Muting players isn't possible since Battlefield 3. So BF3, BF4 and BFH have no mute.

Crap. Is there no way around it? other than filling up the chat as they post messages?

I believe Adkats has a player mute function:
    When a player has been muted by an admin he can still speak / chat, but will get punished for doing so: Admin Kill, Kick and even a ban (I believe).

I thought there was also a Player Mute Limit for Insane Limits without needing Adkats. It's somewhere on these forums. I do not have time to search for the link now.

Community Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by NeO_Anderson View Post
    Crap. Is there no way around it? other than filling up the chat as they post messages?
    Filling up the chat or some other form of punishment is the only way.

You need to consider the order of events. Procon/rcon is after-the-fact.

The player types in the chat in their game. Their message goes to the game server. The game server sends the message out to the other players in the server and rcon. It's too late. The only way you could intercept the message is if rcon intercepted the message from the player before it reached the game server.

Since the game server does not support muting people since BF3 and on (no such rcon command is available), and since you cannot intercept the message before it is sent out to your other players, the only way you can stop the player's chat is if you kick them from the server or fill up the chat box with blank lines after everything they say.

I see what you mean, seems punishment for being muted and talking is only option... i guess.filling chat seems overkill and could just be used to spam the server e.t.c.

I wonder why they dont have such abilities to mute people? seems like if that existed 90% of troubles would be solved...

Quote Originally Posted by NeO_Anderson View Post
    I wonder why they dont have such abilities to mute people? seems like if that existed 90% of troubles would be solved...
    Yeah, I never really understood why DICE removed it after BC2...
    It was a useful tool to silence the trolls and abusers.

I really think muting a player is less drastic than kicking / banning them.